Stay True to Yourself in Relationships and Dating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Relationships and dating in today’s world can be very difficult. With so many people meeting through different dating apps, different social media outlets, and in situations that are less than ideal, it is really hard to know who is honest and being their true self. So many people want to change their likings and even their morals to fit the likings and morals of the person they are really interested in. Some people will go down a path they never intended to walk down just to impress their crush. They lose their true self to mold themselves into the person their crush wants.

This molding and change cannot, and will not last forever. If an individual intends to have this “new but not true self” last forever to be with their crush or significant other, that individual will never be happy. They will constantly wear a mask and hide their true self deep down in their soul so that the special person in their life will notice them. All that runs through this individual’s mind are thoughts of impressing their crush or significant other. They will do whatever it takes to make that happen, including straying away from their true self.

Please know, never, ever, ever change who you are to impress a crush or a significant other. To stray away from your true self is to lie to your crush or your significant other. Honesty and trust is the foundation of any sort of relationship. That will not be present if you decide to not be your true self, and will lead to a toxic, unhealthy, depressing, and not long lasting relationship.

You are a unique, beautiful individual. You are brighter than the brightest star, and you shine your own light that no person can dull. Do not dim that light and conform it to the likings and morals of another person. Never change your values, your interests, or your morals to something that is not you. Find someone whose values and morals are in line with yours. It is okay if you have different interests, because a true person is shown through in their values and morals. Find someone who is on the same level of morals and values as you. You can learn to accept different interests and maybe even find similar interests together. In the end, the best thing to have the same of is morals and values. Never change those to have someone like you. Find someone who is on that same level and same idea as you.

It is going to be difficult, and the process is not easy for everyone. You will have to go through heartbreak, troubles and tribulations. You may even not have your true self shine in every relationship. That being said, all of these bad times and moments of not being true to yourself will allow you in the end to know who you truly are. You cannot know light without darkness. You cannot know love without hate. You cannot know your true, genuine, and good self without going through troubles.

Always remember to stay true to yourself. The right person for you is going to come for you one day. Your time may not be today, it may not be tomorrow, heck it may not be this year. That is okay though. The right person who holds similar values and morals when compared to you is going to come into your life someday. Just remember to never shine a light that is not your own. Always be your true self, and never change for anyone who comes into your life. You are the only you, and no one else can be you. The right person who loves you for you is going to come into your life someday. Just remember, the best thing comes to those who wait :)

Picture Source: 1

Katie Pfeifer is a sophomore Psychology major and Gender and Diversity Studies minor. She is from Springboro, Ohio, which is about 20 minutes south of Dayton. She love to shop, dance, hang out with her friends, and listen to music. She is obsessed with animals, watching youtube videos, and traveling! She has written for Her Campus Xavier and in the past, she worked on the marketing team! She always has a smile on her face, and she loves to make people happy! :)