sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Scholarships for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Don’t worry, scholarships exist for people outside of high school too. There are money opportunities for everyone from high school seniors to current college residents. Here is a list of scholarships worth trying for.

Dr. Alma S. Adams Scholarship for Outreach and Health Communications to Reduce Tobacco Use Among Priority Population  

Award Amount: $5,000

Description: “Truth Initiative is offering two $5,000 scholarships to support undergraduate and graduate students who creatively inspire their communities to be tobacco-free. The scholarship will be awarded based on creative community service that reflects four major tobacco-control related issues: smoke-free environments, social justice, tobacco product flavors and point-of-sale (where tobacco products are sold). Applicants must have a minimum 2.0 GPA and provide documentation of financial need.”

Deadline: April 30, 2017

Contact Information: Yari Aquino, 900 G St. NW, 4rth Floor, Washington, DC 20001, yaquino@truthinitiative.org, 202-454-5941

Shawn Carter Scholarship Foundation

Award Amount: $2,500

Description: “The S. Carter Scholarship Foundation, a non-profit organization, was founded in 2002 by Shawn & Gloria Carter. The foundation provides financial assistance to promising individuals proving acceptance into any accredited institution of higher learning. The scholarship was founded on the belief that any desiring individual should have an opportunity to further their education. We are a hybrid establishment that provides the necessary assistance to those in need without regard to race, religion, creed, age, and ancestry, economic or social status. It is our mission, with the help of our mentoring program to soundly assert education & community development through service and awareness while equipping each incumbent with the essential mental, physical and financial support.

Qualified applicants must be a high school senior, college student, and/or between the ages of 18-25, pursuing studies at a vocational or trade school. Please note that SCSF does not fund graduate or postgraduate programs. Must have a minimum 2.0 GPA.”

Deadline: April 30, 2017

Contact Information: Dania Diaz, scsfapplicant@shawncartersf.com, 212-292-8500

Angus Foundation Undergraduate Student Scholarship

Award Amount: $5,000

Description: “To advance its mission of supporting education, youth and research, the Angus Foundation will award general scholarships to young men and women actively involved in the Angus breed who are pursuing an undergraduate degree in higher education.

Awards are made in honor of Richard L. Spader, former Executive Vice President of the American Angus Association. A number of general scholarships and donor-named scholarships will be available. No equivalent work will be required from the scholarship recipients. Winners will be announced at the National Junior Angus Show.

Applicants must have at one time been a National Junior Angus Association member and must currently be a Junior, Regular, or Life member of the American Angus Association, be a graduating high school senior or be enrolled in a junior college, four-year college/university, or other accredited institution of higher education for the fall term in which the scholarship will be awarded. Minimum 2.0 GPA, applicant cannot have reached their 25th birthday prior to January 1st of the application year. The scholarship must be applied to undergraduate studies of any field. Applicant will be required to verify enrollment in an institution of higher education by September before the award check can be issued. Should the recipient fail to complete at least one semester of full-time enrollment prior to June for any reason, the scholarship must be refunded to the Angus Foundation. Applicants can only receive the scholarship twice.”

Deadline: May 1, 2017

Contact Information: Angus Foundation Scholarship Selection Committee, Angus Foundation, 3201 Frederick Avenue St., Joseph, MO 64506, 816-383-5100

Brower Youth Award

Award Amount: $3,000

Description: “Earth Island Institute established The Brower Youth Award for Environmental Leadership in 2000 to honor renowned environmental advocate David Brower, who was quoted as saying “I love to see what young people can do before someone old tells them it’s impossible.” It is with this spirit that we recognize the outstanding leadership efforts of young people who are working for the protection of our shared planet.

Each of the six (6) recipients of the Brower Youth Awards will receive a $3,000 cash prize, a professionally produced short film about their work from an Emmy award winning film crew, and flight and lodging accommodations for a week-long trip to the San Francisco Bay Area.

Youth environmental change leaders ages 13 to 22 (as of July 1) living in North America (including Mexico, Canada, some Caribbean Islands) and U.S. territories are encouraged to apply.

During their stay in California, the recipients will participate in a camping trip, leadership activities, speaking and media engagements, training sessions, and environmental conferences giving them a chance to meet with mentors and peers. We invest in their continued success by providing ongoing access to resources, mentors, and opportunities to develop leadership skills. The week of activities culminates in the awards ceremony in front of more than 900 guests in San Francisco.”

Deadline: May 16, 2017

Contact Information: Scholarship Committee, 2150 Allston Way, Suite 460, Berkeley, CA 94704, bya@earthisland.org, 510-859-9144

Traub-Dicker Rainbow Scholarship

Award Amount: $3,000

Description: “Established by Peggy Traub and Phyllis Dicker, this fund encourages and supports LGBTQ women in their quest for higher education. The TDRS awards scholarships to students in two categories: 1) graduating high school seniors who plan on attending an accredited college or university; and, 2) already matriculated students in any year of study, including graduate school. Multiple scholarships between $1,500 and $3,000 will be awarded in and are nonrenewable. Who is eligible? As of 2007, the Traub-Dicker Rainbow Scholarship is only available to women-identified students. Applicants must demonstrate their motivation to making a difference in the world and also have a history of academic excellence and community service.”

Deadline: May 18, 2017

Contact Information: Scholarship Committee, 446 West 33rd Street, New York, NY 100001, grants@stonewallfoundation.org, tel: 212-367-1155, fax: 212-367-1157

Amber Lauzé is a senior Entrepreneurial Studies and Management double major from Auburn, Maine. When not writing for HCXU, she can found at one of her many jobs, or hunting for her cat that likes to hide in blankets.