Reasons Every Girl Should Consider Being a Country Music Fan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Many people think country music is just for people who live below the Mason-Dixon, and that it is all about trucks, beer, and girls. While there’s no denying some country songs are like this, there is so much more to country music than that. Here are 11 reasons why every girl should consider listening to country music:

1) There is a song that fits just about every mood or situation.

Are you madly in love? Sad? Feeling sentimental? Going out on the town or spending a night in with friends? There is a country music song to fit it all.

2) Country music can be very patriotic.

Talk about having great captions on the Fourth of July! If there’s one thing all country music singers have in common, it is they all have lots of American pride. Country music stars love singing about our freedom, and especially those who fight for our freedom, our troops. “It’s America” by Rodney Atkins, “American Saturday Night” by Brad Paisley, “Only in America” by Brooks & Dunn, and “God Bless the USA” by Lee Greenwood are just a few of the many songs that display their love of America. Just listen to any song by Trace Atkins, such as “Made in America” or “American Solider,” and I promise you will feel especially patriotic.

3) The girls of country music are #goals

They’re sassy, gorgeous, talented, and just all around perfect. And they’re not afraid to say the things that you know you’re thinking too. Just watch one of Miranda Lambert or Carrie Underwood’s music videos, and you’ll probably want to be them.

4) Attractive men

No Luke Bryan, YOU shake it for ME.

5) Songs that will melt your heart

Some of the cutest love songs are country songs. Listen to a few, and you’ll most likely want a southern boy to come sweep you off your feet. 

6) Country music isn’t afraid to talk about faith…

With songs from “Jesus Take The Wheel” by Carrie Underwood, to “I Saw God Today” by George Straight, to “Three Wooden Crosses” by Randy Travis, country music singers have proven that they aren’t afraid to talk about their faith and how it has helped them in their lives.

7) …or other tough subjects.

Brad Paisley said it best when he sang, “You’re not supposed to say the word ‘cancer’ in a song. And tellin’ folks Jesus is the answer can rub ’em wrong…but this is country music, and we do.” Country music isn’t afraid to talk about the tough stuff, which makes the genre even more relatable.

8) It’s full of hope and encouragement

If you’re going through a tough time, there are lots of country songs that can help you feel better. Just listen to “If You’re Going Through Hell” by Rodney Atkins, for example, if you need a little pick-me-up.

9) It can be funny

Listen to “Alcohol” by Brad Paisley and tell us it didn’t make you smile a little. We dare you.

10) It’s real

Country music doesn’t sugar-coat things. The songs are real, raw, and relatable. They talk about both the good times and the bad, and how to make the best out of real life. They celebrate being a part of the “Drinking Class” (instead of being rich and living the easy life all the time) and teach us how to recognize the good stuff in life. 

11) It’ll make you feel like you’re part of something bigger than yourself

There’s nothing quite like singing your favorite country song in a huge arena of people who can all relate to it as much as you can. Whether you’re from a small town or big city, as Brad Paisley said, “We crank up the same songs Friday night, on two thousand country stations, yeah, we’re one big country nation.”

Gif sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.

Lauren is a senior Marketing major, with minors in Economics and Gender & Diversity Studies at Xavier University. She calls Nashville, Tennessee home, and is the Campus Correspondent and President of HCXU. When she is not writing, she is planning events on the Student Activities Council, building her resume with her brothers in Delta Sigma Pi, or making random Spotify playlists. She is a Diet Coke enthusiast, and wishes she could spend every day hiking or playing with her dog. 
Danielle Curtis is a Junior at Xavier University and is HCXU's Campus Correspondent. She is majoring in English with minors in media studies and writing. She loves traveling, reading, and watching videos of failed marriage proposals.