Real-life Stories About What it’s Like Growing Up with Siblings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Growing up with siblings has its ups and downs but as we’ve gotten older, we can’t help but see how amazing our sibs are. Even though they still annoy us to no end, we wouldn’t want live without them. Having siblings can be great, but there were some days we wish we were born an only child. As we all have grown older, we’ve developed special bonds with our siblings from dealing with our parents, and we’ve passed on our wisdom to the next sib in line. Those were the nice and fuzzy feelings of having siblings. But there were also days when we stole each others clothes, played cruel pranks on each other, and got into fist fights. We asked our team for their craziest sibling stories– and responses we got were hilarious.

“A little while after my parents first brought me home from the hospital, they caught my two-year-old sister pushing me towards the front door, saying “Baby go home now!”  I think she’s gotten used to me by now, but sometimes I think she still wishes she could just push me out the front door.”

“For my fifth or sixth birthday, I received a pink Winnie the Pooh stroller and baby carrier set. My sister and I would dress up our American Girl dolls and younger brother (often in one of our old dresses). Then, we would paint our brother’s nails before placing him in the stroller and one of our dolls in the carrier. Then we’d walk around our street with me pushing our brother in the stroller and my younger sister strutting around with the doll in the carrier. There is still a picture somewhere in the house of my brother all dolled up the one time that we even ventured into make-up– oops!”

“My younger sister had a ‘boyfriend’ in kindergarten. They decided to exchange rings during recess and have a ‘wedding.’ She gave him a ring with her name engraved on it. The boyfriend took the ring home and his twin brother took it and decided to ‘hide’ it in his mouth. The boyfriend’s twin started laughing and accidentally swallowed the ring. The boyfriends parents called us a few days later asking if we wanted the ring back.”

“My sister once locked me out of my iPhone indefinitely. It could only be unlocked by being plugged into my laptop and restarted, but we were on vacation for two weeks and my laptop was at home.”

“One time I was so mad at my little brother and I decided to tell him that Santa Claus wasn’t real, even though I still believed in him myself. I have even seen a 5 year old so upset, so I immediately took it back.”

“I don’t remember what he did, but one time I was so mad at my twin brother that I told him I was going to break his Backstreet Boys Millennium CD if he did not apologize to me. I walked over to the trashcan and held it there waiting for him to say he was sorry, but he never did. So I broke it in half. In all fairness I did tell him I was going to break it if he didn’t say he was sorry, but I don’t think he is over it because he still brings it up to this day. We are now 19 years old.”  

Sara is a Sophomore Public Relations major with a double minor in Political Communications and Business at Xavier University. She is also involved with an acapella group, Acabellas, and the Center for Faith and Justice on campus. She loves all dogs, dark chocolate, and inspirational quotes. 
Danielle Curtis is a Junior at Xavier University and is HCXU's Campus Correspondent. She is majoring in English with minors in media studies and writing. She loves traveling, reading, and watching videos of failed marriage proposals.