Questions Every Xavier Freshman has During the First Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

It was only 5 short months ago that I was wandering the grounds of Xavier, brand new and scared out of my mind. I’m pretty sure being lost is basically one of the 101 courses for freshman. Our first week tales of failure and triumph are something my friends and I constantly talk of so here are the ones we feel that all Xavier students can relate to.

What floor of McDonald library am I on?

Is the first floor the one that connects to the CLC or the one that has the kids books? Does anyone know how deep the library actually is? Along with that…

Am I in the Library or the CLC?

I’m never quite sure and I don’t even know if I know the difference.

Why is my classroom in Cintas?

Xavier always is bragging about their small class sizes so why is my Philosophy 101 going to be in the arena? In all honesty: I really thought I would would be sitting in the middle of Cintas learning about Plato on the jumbotron.

What is the Pit?

I know it’s in Brockman and that I’m suppose to avoid it, but I really must check it out.

Why is Smith just as confusing as the CLC?

Ground floor, okay I guess. Having to walk up stairs to get to the first floor, you’ve lost me.

The caf closes at 8?

So you do realize I can’t even think about food until like 10pm right? In all honesty: I don’t think my friend Josh ate for a month because he never knew when the caf closed.

I can use my dining dollars on any food on campus!?

I’m going to use all $250 on Kit Kats!

How do you pronounce Buenger?

With the way it’s spelled… how is that supposed to sound the same as banger? Isn’t Banger just a Miley Cyrus album?

Why is R1 the Holy Grail?

It’s just a parking lot. In all honesty: I totally understand now and I am willing to give my left arm for an R1 spot.

Does R3 even exist?

Mystical parking lot that I’ve never seen and never really want to see.

All of the Xavier merch is up the hill and not at the Gallagher Bookstore?

Why do we even have two if you expect me to walk up a hill for a t-shirt?

Is the pasta line ever not a 30 minute wait?

I mean I’m definitely going to wait for it, but I’m doing it begrudgingly.

How do I get mail?

It was hard enough to figure out where the mail center was and now the lock is impossible so I’ll probably never get my mail.

What’s the big deal about basketball?

I guess we’re pretty good, but do you think I have free time for sports ball? In all honesty: I haven’t missed a game yet and I don’t plan on it anytime soon.

Our mascot is the Blue Blob?

…Enough said.

Picture Source: 1

Mallory (Mal) Williams is a Junior Digital Media and Advertising major, Writing minor from Chino Hills, California. When she’s not writing articles, she’s a hummus enthusiast, proud owner of a record collection, and the biggest fan of the planet Saturn you'll ever meet.