An Open Letter to Out of State Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Dear out of state students,

I am one of you. I’m not from Ohio, and honestly? I never even stepped foot in Ohio until I decided to go to school here at Xavier. This was the farthest west I’ve ever gone. Let me specify — I’m from Maine, and that’s a big jump. Not all of you are from so far away, but moving across state borders can still bring a change of life, tradition, culture, and weather. There are a lot of feelings associated with that move, and, whatever you feel, you aren’t alone.

What were you thinking when you left your home to become a college student? Did you get to see your friends, or watch from the car, bus, or plane as you left your state behind? Being barely an adult and already moving so far away for an new adventure was exciting and sad at the same time. Maybe you even cried as you left your family and pets behind, and that’s okay. You’ll be back home soon, but sometimes it might feel like not soon enough.

Leaving home can bring a newfound love for the state you come from. I know I miss Maine constantly. I miss apple orchards, family owned ice cream stands, boat priced seafood, the ocean, lakes, and wildlife that Cincinnati doesn’t offer. But what is college if not for delving into new and unique things where you now live? Oktoberfest downtown, Graeter’s Ice Cream, Skyline Chili, basketball culture and the Crosstown Shootout. The zoo, King’s Island, Findlay Market, and so many other things to experience.

It can be hard to be so far away from where you grew up, although some handle the transition better than others. As you become an upperclassman, you may even move out here permanently in a house or apartment and at that point, the transition may feel solidified. If you miss your state, much like I do, talk about it. Chances are there’s another out of state student ready to talk about their home state too. Reminisce on how much you enjoyed being there and know you can always go back. But for the time being, Ohio is our home and these cornfields are welcoming us with open arms.

Amber Lauzé is a senior Entrepreneurial Studies and Management double major from Auburn, Maine. When not writing for HCXU, she can found at one of her many jobs, or hunting for her cat that likes to hide in blankets.
Danielle Curtis is a Junior at Xavier University and is HCXU's Campus Correspondent. She is majoring in English with minors in media studies and writing. She loves traveling, reading, and watching videos of failed marriage proposals.