Nobody Likes a Debbie Downer: How to Deal with Negativity & Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Dealing with negativity clouding up your life? Nobody likes a Debbie Downer… and you don’t need to put up with it! 

1. Eliminate the bad people.

Oftentimes, the root of the negativity in your life comes from the people you are surrounded by. There are 3 types of toxic people you need to get rid of right now.

• The Drama Queen, who has constantly feels the need to have an opinion about other people’s drama. Your business is your business, not theirs.
  • The Complainer, who can make a sunny day feel like the worst day of your life.
  • The Unambitious One, who neither motivates you or inspires you to be the best version of yourself.

Life is too short and you are too old for petty drama. Stressing about it can only make you sick. There is a fine line between caring and knowing when it’s too much. Remember that people come and go, and that’s ok. You have your health and your happiness to worry about.

2. “Hating is really easy. Creating is really hard.” – Casey Neistat

It’s easy to put people down and hate the people that have wronged you in the past. Hating them does not solve anything. The best thing you can do is continue to create a more positive outlook, build relationships, and create the best version of yourself.

3. Do your own thing.

It’s your life. You are constantly changing and evolving into a more refined version of yourself every day and so is everyone else. You should spend your time doing the things that you love. Sometimes, the best things in life are the things that you do on your own. Some people are not going to understand some of the things that you do because if everyone understood what everyone else is doing, life would not be interesting or exciting.

4. Practice positivity and open-mindedness.

source

It is a bit of a cliché to tell someone to be positive when he or she is faced with hardship, but positivity is the first step to living a happier life. Along with caring less about the opinion of others, the moment that you choose happiness is the same moment that you choose to improve and move forward in life. Always give people the benefit of the doubt. Everyone has a story and an opportunity the might surprise you.

5. Embrace self-love.

source

It is okay to put yourself first. People will always tell you to love one another and care about other people, but you should also care about yourself. At the end of the day, you will always have yourself to love and support throughout your entire life. You should be your own best friend, because no one knows you better than yourself. You may need some help and advice from family and friends but ultimately, you know what is best.

6. Life isn’t waiting for you to accept it. It’s waiting for you to react and to change it. Hustle.

You are a beautiful independent human being with a long life ahead of you. Life can be anything that you want it to be. Things are going to happen, you are going to make mistakes and that is 100% okay. If you want to live an amazing life, you have to get up and do something. Work hard, build your life, and live your dreams.

7. Girl, you are cute, confident, and capable. You are worth it.

Live your best life,

HCXO 

Brittany is a senior accounting major from Saint Louis, Missouri and is a Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not organizing Her Campus Xavier, she can be found working with Tedx Xavier University or Xavier Women in Business. She  wishes she could spend all of her free time with puppies.