No Shave November: What You Need to Know & XU Guys’ Reasons Why They Skip the Shave

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

It’s time again for No Shave November, also known as Movember – the glorious month of putting down the razor and growing body hair out for men’s health – specifically – prostate cancer. Whether you’re a man growing a beard or a woman who wants a break, here’s everything you need to know about No Shave November and what some of your peers think of it.

No Shave November is a non-profit organization dedicated to raising cancer awareness, and raising funds to support cancer prevention, research, and education.

Ryan Kosturko, sophomore, says, “Now that I can grow a full beard, I feel like I’m actually raising a good amount of awareness for the cause.”

The goal of No Shave November is to grow out hair which cancer patients lose. Donate the money you typically spend on shaving and grooming to cancer foundations to help educate, save lives, and further research.

Mitchel Makarewicz, freshman, says, “The whole baseball team participates in no-shave November to raise awareness for men’s health issues like prostate cancer.”

Anyone can participate. Grow out a beard, a mustache, let your legs go natural, or skip the waxing at the local salon.

Noah LeClaire, sophomore, says, “I’m participating because I want to know if I can grow a beard and see how I look with one.”

You can get involved by setting up your very own participation page and gain donations or donate to others to help them gain on the leader board.

Danny Schwartz, sophomore, says, “I am doing no shave November because my roommate bet me $100 that I couldn’t last and I need pizza and weekend money.”

At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter why you participate! Whether it’s for the fun or to raise awareness for men’s health, everyone is welcome to participate and shelf the razors for a month.

Amber Lauzé is a senior Entrepreneurial Studies and Management double major from Auburn, Maine. When not writing for HCXU, she can found at one of her many jobs, or hunting for her cat that likes to hide in blankets.
Brittany is a senior accounting major from Saint Louis, Missouri and is a Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not organizing Her Campus Xavier, she can be found working with Tedx Xavier University or Xavier Women in Business. She  wishes she could spend all of her free time with puppies.