This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

For Valentine’s Day I knew my boyfriend and I were doing something, but what, I didn’t know. The night before Valentine’s Day he sent me a message saying, “Bring a water bottle.” On Valentine’s Day before he picked me up he sent another message saying, “Don’t wear white.” These hints made me really want to know what he had planned up his sleeves.

On the drive to the location he gave me another hint, saying, “It’s downtown.” I was very curious by this point. Eventually he told me we were going to a place called PRVLGD.

When we got there the sign on the door read “Must be 21 years old.” We walked in and I saw a bar, some tables, and a lounging area. There was also a stage set up at the back of the room.

A server asked us if we were there for the band or the painting. When my boyfriends responded, “Painting,” I knew then what we were doing, and I was super excited. The server directed us to the stairs. When we went upstairs we walked into a room with a bar on the left, tables with painting easels set up on them, and a lounging area in the back of the room.

That’s when my boyfriend explained that this event, called Eat Drink Paint Lover’s Night, was only for couples (yes you could go with friends), meaning there were no single people there. He explained that we’d be getting dinner as well; they brought out dinner beforehand. Dinner ended up being chicken, pasta, salad, and bread.

After dinner we were instructed to get aprons. We were also given paint brushes, paint, and paper towels. The instructor who was going to go through the painting process with us explained what we were painting and that it was a couple effort.

The painting we were replicating was two wine glasses with wine spilling out of them and forming a heart. Each couple got two canvases, which meant each person had to paint to one of the glasses. Both canvases were then to fit together kind of like a puzzle piece. Because there was a lot of white space on the canvas, the instructor said each couple should create a background that represents the couple.

My boyfriend and I decided to make a night sky with stars, a moon, the earth, and a rocket. I wrote “Love you to the moon and back” and our initials on the painting as well. And at the end of the event, each couple got their picture taken with their masterpiece.

Our finished masterpiece.

Leah Himes

Xavier '19

Leah Himes is a senior English major with psychology and writing minors. She is from Cincinnati, Ohio. When she is not working on HCXU stuff, she is hanging with friends, listening to music, working at Starbucks or eating mac n' cheese in her slippers on the couch.