Harry Potter World Hogwarts
Harry Potter World Hogwarts
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

My Experience Re-Reading Harry Potter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

I, like many, love Harry Potter. The book series was probably one of the first that I actually read as a kid. I distinctly remember making my mom have a Harry Potter movie marathon with me when I was in middle school. Returning to Harry Potter land is a regular dream of mine. 

However, it’d been years since I’d read this series. Sure, when I got a hankering, I’d rewatch the series, but I didn’t always have a few days to drop on watching them all. Recently, I’ve gotten on a reading kick and I realized, I should re-read this absolute favorite and re-immerse myself in the amazing world of Hogwarts. So that’s what I did. And here’s what happened. 

Disclaimer: Even though this series has been out for 10 to 20 years now (depending on the book and movie release), this will probably get spoiler-y. 

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone

Initial re-read  review: I love being back!

Sorcerer’s Stone is such a great introduction to this fantastical world with a fun array of characters that I love, but why do they call it the sorcerer’s/philosopher’s stone? Wouldn’t alchemist’s stone make more sense? Also, wow, Snape sucks. 

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Initial re-read review: Still my second favorite Harry Potter.

This movie used to terrify me as a kid, because I hate snakes, but I remember, this was the book I read the quickest. I think it’s because Chamber of Secrets reads like a mystery, who is the heir? Who opened the chamber? What’s responsible for all of the petrified victims? I need to know!

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkahban

Initial re-read review: Absolutely my favorite. I love getting to learn about the Marauders!!

Although Chamber of Secrets was probably my favorite for a long time, I think I love the Prisoner of Azkahban the most because finally, Harry has family members that aren’t completely awful! He gets to learn about his dad and the Marauders, who I just find great because a group of young wizards who all broke many rules and laws to be there for their best friend. Pure and wholesome. Lupin is also a cinnamon roll and Sirius is that uncle who teaches you how to get into trouble and also how to get away with it. (Definitely going to be my brother, Bob.)

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Initial re-read review: Definitely better than I remember!

This has been my least favorite for a while, and now I think it’s mostly because the movie just truly didn’t do the book justice and I didn’t remember how amazing the book was! Even though this book is an absolute brick, with all that was happening, it was tons of fun. There were plenty of interesting adventures happening, we finally got a glimpse into some of the future romances, but then that ending. Wow, even though I knew it was coming, it was still rather brutal. 

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Initial re-read review: My heart. My soul. Everything hurts. So painful and so sweet. I love these characters. (Except Umbridge. She can be attacked by Fanged Frisbees.)

This movie often gets the most flack because it was basically impossible to cover everything that was important given the size of this book. Honestly, this should have been the two-parter. This book was such an emotional rollercoaster because Harry is struggling with his connection to Voldemort and is, understandably, a bit stressed, plus probably suffering from some PTSD from the previous book. Not to mention Umbridge, the only villain that everyone absolutely hates. (I love a good villain and I can appreciate Rowling’s writing of Umbridge, but nope, I don’t even love to hate her, just hate her.) Luna is also just the most entertaining bit of this book to me, because I love the idea that even in a world of wizards, there are still people who are just a bit more odd than the strange wizarding world. And finally, I wish we got to see more of Sirius.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Initial re-read review: My heart hurts. Also best friend goals. And why do people like Snape, again?

The Half Blood Prince was my first midnight movie screening as a kid, so it will always hold a special place in my heart. It was also the first human movie death that made me cry. And that same death got me again while re-reading this book. By the end, I had tears brimming my eyes, which only got worse when Hermione and Ron agreed to go with Harry to help him stop Voldemort. Also love all of the battling between Death Eaters and the Order because that was just badass. 

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Initial re-read review: It was a great ride. This last book is such a well-done ending that made me feel so many emotions even though I already knew what would happen.

Wow, even though I knew everything that was going to happen in this book, I still cried three times. My heart just couldn’t take it. However, this was such an amazing way to end the story and once I hit the Battle of Hogwarts, I just didn’t want to stop reading. It’s not surprising this book had to be split into two for the movie, because just SO MUCH happens! And it’s all important! Cut one chapter and you don’t know what’s happening or how they found out about this or that. Even though Snape is such a problematic character, I have to admit, the “Always,” still tugged at my heart. Also go Ginny. She got to marry her celebrity crush. That’s the dream, girl.

Tasha Young is a senior Marketing and Communications major from Dallas, Texas. She is the Marketing Manager and Co-Correspondent for Her Campus Xavier and the Vice President of Xavier's Women In Business. She's a giant comic book nerd who loves Mexican food, pokehunting with her dog, and playing video games with her boyfriend.
Allison Kane

Xavier '20

Allison Kane is a senior Marketing major and Spanish minor at Xavier University. When she's not working on the HerCampus Xavier Marketing Team, she spends her time, playing catch with her "unwilling" friends, eating Kit Kats and haning out with her fish.