More Cheese, Please: An Inside Look Into Xavier’s Pizza ATM

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

In August, while returning students were trying to make the most of their last few weeks of summer break and first-year students were eagerly awaiting the drastic change college would make in their lives, Xavier was undergoing its own transition–from a small-town university in Ohio, to the nation’s only school with a Pizza ATM.

Already a trend in European small towns, gas stations and pizzerias, the automatic pizza dispenser here on campus means an extra dining option for students late at night when Hoff is closed. In a WCPO-TV interview, our very own Marking Director of Xavier’s Auxiliary Services, Jennifer Paiotti, claims the pizza from the ATM is “the best [she’s] ever had,” which, as a New Yorker, she would rather not admit. And, although it isn’t the first food-distributing ATM in the United States (Beverly Hills beat us to the punch on that one with the installation of the first Cupcake ATM, and many cities have followed suit), it’s a cheesy addition to the long list of reasons why Xavier stands out and why the students love this school.

While Paiotti gave the newest addition to our campus a thumbs-up, the general consensus of Xavier students is quite mixed. Much like the campus opinion on Skyline, you either really like it, or you don’t.

Freshman Sean Chrusniak says the Pizza ATM “is a good way to get food late at night since there aren’t too many choices on campus. The pizza itself is pretty good, and I like that they’re adding different choices to the menu!”

Bobby Eder, a junior from Northern Kentucky University who visited our campus in late September, praises the ATM, claiming it was the “highlight of [his] trip to Xavier.”

Jennifer Paiotti may praise the crunchy crust, but for others, the ATM just doesn’t taste the same as Hoff’s brick-oven pizza.

Her Campus Xavier’s very own Tara Dinh disagrees with all of the hype. “While I think it’s a great new addition to our campus,” she says, “I think that the pizza in our cafeteria is a lot better because they make it right in front of you. It tastes fresher, whereas the pizza in the ATM is frozen and then reheated in an oven.”

But, no matter what your opinion is, we here at Xavier are extremely lucky to have something as cool as an automatic pizza dispenser. And, really, at 1 AM on a Wednesday night when you’re cramming for a test, it doesn’t matter what it tastes like–you’re just glad to have something to eat!

Picture Source: 1

Molly Schramm is a Middle Childhood Education major from a small town in northern New Jersey. When not writing for Xavier University's Her Campus, she's either nose-deep in a book or engrossed in whatever new playlist she's working on. In addition to Xavier sunsets and frozen yogurt, she really loves Kpop, figure drawing, and orange kittens.