Macklemore’s New Single “Wednesday Morning”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Friday, Nov. 18, Macklemore fans received an email about new music from the hip-hop recording artist. There was no text or explanation; there was just a picture of the cover artwork for his new single entitled “Wednesday Morning.” Anyone could guess what the new song was about.

The art features his one-year-old daughter, Simone, looking up at the American flag. This image alone was enough to give fans chills, and anticipate what the song would be about: Macklemore’s reaction to the presidential election.

As a strong supporter of Hillary Clinton, Macklemore addresses the fear that he felt for the nation and for his daughter immediately following the election. Against a background of sweet and calm piano chords, Macklemore says:

“And when she wakes up, will the world be the same?

Will my girl be afraid in the home of the brave?”

He describes his feeling like a nightmare, adding:

“There’s so much anger and this world is ours, raise her

My daughter, hope it’s a dream when I wake up tomorrow.”

However, the song was ultimately about hope for the future, and not giving up on his ideals. He continues the song saying:

“When they build walls, we’ll build bridges

This is resistance, we’re resilient

When they spread hate, we shine brilliant.”

He addresses issues surrounding the election, including reproductive rights, LGBTQIA rights, the syrian refugee crisis and racism, but he points out that the outcome of the election does not mean the end. 

“This isn’t the Apocalypse

We can’t address the hate until we acknowledge it

If Jesus was alive, would he let Mohamed in?”

Even though Macklemore woke up with a “bad taste” in his mouth, he is staying optimistic. He explains that the election is not going to keep him from fighting; it should make him, and us, fight harder for our ideals.

“I’m not moving to Canada, not fleeing the nation

No time for apathy, no more tears and no complainin’

Gotta fight harder for the next four and what we’re faced with

Got my daughter in my arms and he is not gonna raise her.”

If the outcome of the presidential election made you feel hopeless or fearful, check out Macklemore’s song here.

Spread positivity and optimism Collegiettes. ~ HCXO

Picture Source: 1

Margot Bond

Xavier '20

Margot is a senior Economics, Sustainability, and Society major with minors in Political Science and Gender and Diversity Studies from Louisville, Kentucky. In addition to writing articles for Her Campus, she is a Resident Assistant at Xavier and involved in student sustainability. She loves listening to John Mayer, watching Netflix, and doing crosswords with her boyfriend. Most importantly, she is 100% a cat person.