Keurig Hacks to Satisfy Your College Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

A morning cup of Keurig coffee makes it much easier to wake up for that 8 AM class. But, unfortuantely, we’ve all seen the expensive price tags for K-Cups. Who knew a little pod could cost as much as 75 cents each? After receiving my first Keurig from my wonderful boyfriend as a Christmas gift, I was hooked. I wanted to try ALL the flavors, but I didn’t want to break the bank over it.  Here are a couple things I have done to save some cash. 

1. Buy at Bed, Bath and Beyond 

If you are on their emailing list, you will often get 20% off coupons or $5 off $15. I took advantage of my $15 (after buying a calendar that was 50% off) and was able to get a 16 pack of Cinnabon coffee for only $7.50! 

2. Consider a Freedom Clip 

If you have a 2.0 Keurig brewer, you know you can no longer use “unofficial” K-Cups or else you will get an error. I bought the SoloClip on Amazon for $5.99 with free shipping. I like this clip better because in reviews of other types of “freedom clips” they are made out of plastic, not metal like this clip.  That means that after a few uses the other ones will fall out and you will have to use a new one. 

3. Keep an eye out for cheap cups 

I once read on a blog that you should never pay more than 50 cents a pod… and I have tried to use this as my Keurig-life motto. I always look for the best deal whether it’s sales, coupons, or how many pods come in each container. I have come to find that the Dollar Tree sells 4 pods in a box for a dollar. They have two options in the store closest to me but others may have more; Medium Roast Coffee and Hot Chocolate. I’ve tried both, and they both taste pretty good. Not as good as a box that costs you $10, but you did just paid a dollar. 

4. Use the “other” setting 

When you use a pod that is Hot Chocolate/Other, make sure you click that button! You get a mess with the needles and the pod very quick. 

5. Empty Pods 

My friend told me to purchase a refillable pod the second I thought about buying a Keurig. She uses hers for tea leaves, but it is also very useful to fill in your own coffee grounds and save. I got a two pack of the Brew & Save brand for $14 at Kroger; these were 2.0 compatible so I didn’t have to worry about any struggles and they were made of a better quality that was harder shelled than the Keurig-brand refillable pod. Make sure you pay attention to which ones need filters also, because that could add an extra cost to use those pods. P. S. Hot chocolate going through the mesh and through the machine makes a big mess. Trust me, I found out the hard way. 

Sources: 1, 2, 34, 5, 6.

Danielle Curtis is a Junior at Xavier University and is HCXU's Campus Correspondent. She is majoring in English with minors in media studies and writing. She loves traveling, reading, and watching videos of failed marriage proposals.