It’s Okay to Not Drink or Party in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

I’m a junior now and I don’t drink. Actually, I rarely ever drink. Seeing me drinking is a rare sighting, I’d say. I don’t have a fake ID, so I don’t out to the bars. I don’t really go to parties either, though I have been to enough to know that I’m just not a partier. But hey, there’s nothing to be ashamed about for not drinking or partying in college.

During my freshman year, I was only interested in drinking and partying because I would watch other people’s Snapchat stories and see them doing it. My interest started to disappear because I realized I didn’t really have a way of getting alcohol, which was fine with me. I went my whole first year of college without drinking or partying basically. But I had found other ways to have fun, such as joining clubs, visiting places in Cincinnati that I’ve never been to before, and just hanging with friends. I think what also helped was the fact that the friends I made freshman year also didn’t drink or party.

When sophomore year rolled around, I didn’t have my first drink until near the end of first semester. The first time I drank, my roommates watched me. They said I was way funnier as a drunk and that I even started cleaning our common room. Sophomore year also happened to be the only year I went to a few parties. I went to three in fact, two at University of Cincinnati and one at Xavier. I got invited to the parties at UC by my best friend who attends there. She invited me to a Halloween party hosted by one of the fraternity houses. As the designated driver that night, I wasn’t supposed to drink. However, I had my first taste of beer that night and I didn’t like it one bit; one sip, and I didn’t want it anymore. The second party was hosted by my best friend’s friends who lived in an apartment off campus. That was the first party and the first time I’ve been the most drunk. As for the third party at Xavier, I and another friend were invited by one of my roommates because it was her boyfriend’s party. It was an okay party, but I probably thought that because I knew, like, two people there: my roommate and my friend.

The summer before junior year started, I went to one party and one darty (day-time party). I was invited by a friend and the party started off as just a small get-together. Then it turned into us going to El Dorado, but we left kind of early. The darty was hosted by my boyfriend’s friends/old roommates. It was the second time I’ve been the most drunk. It was also the most fun party I’ve been too, but probably because I knew a majority of the people there. Either way, since summer, I have not been to any parties since junior has started, nor have I gotten drunk. I think because I have already experienced drinking and getting drunk, I prefer not to drink or party. I’m the type of person who would rather watch Netflix in my pajamas on a Saturday night than go out and party. If I were to drink this year, I would rather do it in the comfort of my own place than at a party.

I’m not a partier. I’m not really a drinker. I don’t have a fake ID. I’ll be 21 in January but I don’t know if I want to go out to the bars on my birthday; personally, I’d rather stay snuggled up in bed. If you’re not a partier/drinker either, that’s totally okay! Don’t let anyone pressure you into doing something you don’t want to do. Again, there’s nothing to be ashamed about if you don’t drink or party while in college. You do you and be your lazy, pajama-loving, Netflix-watching on a Saturday night type-self, while not giving a frick about the people who judge you.

Leah Himes

Xavier '19

Leah Himes is a senior English major with psychology and writing minors. She is from Cincinnati, Ohio. When she is not working on HCXU stuff, she is hanging with friends, listening to music, working at Starbucks or eating mac n' cheese in her slippers on the couch.