Inexpensive DIY Halloween Costumes for You and Your Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Well ladies, fall has arrived. That means crisp air, cozy sweaters, pumpkin spice lattes, and Halloween! While we are all far too old to go trick-or-treating, Halloween is still a fun night when we can dress up however we want. Don’t let October 31st creep up on you without picking the perfect costume; here are some perfect DIY costumes that you and your friends can make yourselves, without breaking the bank!

Frat Boys

source

This is a simple costume that your group can probably throw together with things that you already have or, worst case, you can raid Goodwill or your boyfriend’s/guy friends’ closets for! Just wear some shorts, Sperry’s, an oxford shirt, a backwards-preppy hat, and some sunglasses and you’re good to go. 

Minnie Mouse

Minnie Mouse is a classic Disney character and can also be a totally cute costume! Here is Youtuber Bethany Mota’s video tutorial on how to make DIY mouse ears and a tutu, along with Minnie-inspired makeup. 

Blaire and Serena from Gossip Girl

source

You and your BFF can take on Halloween dressed as the Upper East Side’s finest! If you went to a private school, this Gossip Girl inspired outfit is the time to break out your old uniform. (If you didn’t, just wear any black or navy blue skirt and button down white top.) Serena needs her undone tie and Blaire is never complete without her signature headband! Don’t forget the knee socks and fabulous shoes.

Pretty Little Liars

You and your friends probably won’t have to buy a single thing for this costume, but you will still look fabulous and festive. Just wear your favorite little black dress, curl your hair and then mess it up a bit, and smear brown eye shadow to look like dirt.

Ke$ha

source

“Throw some glitter, make it rain” this Halloween! This costume is takes no time to put together, and you can use clothes you already have. Throw on some cutoff shorts, tights (bonus if you have old ripped ones), and some kind of graphic tee or cut up shirt. Tease your hair, add feathers anywhere you can, and the more glitter on your body, the better!

Three Blind Mice

source

This costume is super cute and so simple. Wear a little black dress, dark sunglasses, and mouse ears, draw on a nose and whiskers with eyeliner, and, if you can get them, carry around canes! 

Skittles

Whether it’s just you or a group of ten people, Skittles are a quick costume to pull together. Here’s a tutorial from LaurDIY on how to create your own: 

Lauren is a senior Marketing major, with minors in Economics and Gender & Diversity Studies at Xavier University. She calls Nashville, Tennessee home, and is the Campus Correspondent and President of HCXU. When she is not writing, she is planning events on the Student Activities Council, building her resume with her brothers in Delta Sigma Pi, or making random Spotify playlists. She is a Diet Coke enthusiast, and wishes she could spend every day hiking or playing with her dog. 
Brittany is a senior accounting major from Saint Louis, Missouri and is a Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not organizing Her Campus Xavier, she can be found working with Tedx Xavier University or Xavier Women in Business. She  wishes she could spend all of her free time with puppies.