Here’s Why DNCE Should Be Your New Favorite Band

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

In summer 2015, your new favorite band, DNCE, formed and they’ve been rocking ever since. For the collegiette who digs funky pop tunes, listening to this eclectic group is a must! Their debut EP entitled SWAAY showcases their funky sound in two love songs and two contagious dance tunes. All four songs have their own unique and quirky vibe, just like the four members of the band.

Who Are These People?

You can thank frontman Joe Jonas for bringing the group together. Wanting to cut loose and make music with a new sound, Joe reached out to friends in the music industry. That’s where bassist Cole Whittle, guitarist JinJoo Lee, and drummer Jack Lawless came into the picture. Cole met Joe later on in his music career, but JinJoo and Jack have known Joe since touring with him and the Jonas Brothers.

Speaking of the Jonas Brothers, you know that Joe was always your favorite. Now that he has his own gig, you’ve got to give DNCE a listen to their music.

Part of the beauty of DNCE is it’s a revival for all four performers. They all came off of band breakups, and DNCE has given them a chance to make music that they really enjoy and that embodies their personalities. Their music is the start of a new chapter in their lives, and listening to them just makes you happy to know that second chances really do exist.

DNCE in the News

DNCE has made headlines for their music video for the song, “Toothbrush,” which includes plus-size model and body positivity activist Ashley Graham as Joe’s love interest. Fans have been really excited about the inclusion of more diverse body types in an industry where this doesn’t happen nearly enough.

They also had an exciting win at this year’s MTV Video Music Awards, where they received the award for best new artist. (Congrats, DNCE!)

What Does DNCE Mean?

The group has one main message: Just be yourself. All four members embody this idea in their unique personalities and styles. As they explained in a Rolling Stone article, the name of the group speaks to this idea as well. DNCE is basically a misspelling of the word “dance,” but its imperfection is what makes it great. You don’t have to be perfect, you just have to be yourself, and the group wants their fans to believe this too.

New Music From DNCE

As if you needed another reason to listen, DNCE just released a new single called “Body Moves” on Sept. 30 from their upcoming album. Its infectious beat will get you super pumped for their self-titled album coming out Nov. 18. You can check out their announcement video, but be warned: the anticipation will surely kill you if you’re as excited about the album as we are. Get ready collegiettes, it’s going to be a really cool collection of funk, pop, and rock that you don’t want to miss.

Picture Sources: 1, 2, 3

Margot Bond

Xavier '20

Margot is a senior Economics, Sustainability, and Society major with minors in Political Science and Gender and Diversity Studies from Louisville, Kentucky. In addition to writing articles for Her Campus, she is a Resident Assistant at Xavier and involved in student sustainability. She loves listening to John Mayer, watching Netflix, and doing crosswords with her boyfriend. Most importantly, she is 100% a cat person.