This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Have you ever wished you could play an instrument and jam to your favorite song on the radio? The Beatles and many other artists have composed songs on just a couple chords that can be used numerous ways. If you just learn a couple, you can actually play a lot.

First things first, this tutorial uses an acoustic guitar. They have 6 strings Low E, B, G, D, A, and High E.  When this article describes the strings, String 1 is the highest string and the 6th is the lowest.

You are going to want to use a tuner to make sure that your strings are in tune, which can be completed with the tuning pegs at the top of your guitar. A battery-operated tuner will light up blue in the center when you have tuned the strings correctly and will be red when it is too high or too low.

Each section on the neck of the guitar is called a fret. These run from the top of the guitar near the tuning pegs to the bottom where the neck and base of guitar meet. The first chord you will learn is a very common chord used in lots of songs:  “G” is compromised with 3 fingers on the strings.  First place your pointer finger on the 2nd fret 5th string.

Next, put your middle finger on the 3rd fret, 6th string.

Lastly, your ring finger will stretch down to the first string on the 3rd fret. Now strum across the sound hole with all 6 strings.  Make sure all fingers are all firmly placed on each string because it will sound a little rough if your fingers are a little off. 

The next chord is called E Minor or EM for short. Use your middle finger on the second fret and place it on the 5th string.

With your ring finger, press your finger down on the 4th string on the second fret.

The last chord is C. You will want to place your finger on the 1st fret second string, like is it below.

Your middle finger goes on the 3rd string on the 2nd fret.

And lastly, your ring finger stretches to the 3rd fret 4th string.

If you like having strong, long nails, you’re going to have to kiss those days goodbye when it comes to playing guitar! Until you play for a while and build up calluses (we know yuck, but at least you’ll be in less pain) on your fingertips, your fingers will be very tender and sore. Despite all this, before you know it, you’ll be able to play more songs, jam with friends, and see yourself in small venues. Good luck! 

Brittany is a senior accounting major from Saint Louis, Missouri and is a Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not organizing Her Campus Xavier, she can be found working with Tedx Xavier University or Xavier Women in Business. She  wishes she could spend all of her free time with puppies.