This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you probably want a tattoo, but you also have viewed Snapchat’s “I have a bad tattoo” story and now you’re worried that five years from now, 12-year-old VSCO girls everywhere will be mocking your Twilight tattoo. 

I think that the adults around us have attempted to beat into our brains the possible regret that comes with a tattoo. Will you still like how it looks when your skin is wrinkled and sagging? Do you really want to see it in your wedding pictures? How much does that *insert tattoo idea,* really mean to you? That is a lot of pressure. 

Not only are you supposed to find that tattoo that is timeless for you, but then where will you put it? If it’s on my arm will interviewers look at me differently than other applicants? Don’t tattoos on the ribs hurt the most? The questions are ENDLESS and I think that they often overwhelm people enough that they either forgo a tattoo altogether or they jump the gun and just get something. 

What I have come to see is that finding that perfect tattoo and placement takes time and consideration. Also, like most things in life, we get what we are looking for when we STOP looking. Take a step back, let life happen, and then one day you will be listening to that song, reading that Bible passage, watching that sunset, and you will know: That is something I want to carry with me for the rest of my life. 

Allison Kane

Xavier '20

Allison Kane is a senior Marketing major and Spanish minor at Xavier University. When she's not working on the HerCampus Xavier Marketing Team, she spends her time, playing catch with her "unwilling" friends, eating Kit Kats and haning out with her fish.