Every Girl’s “Fantasy” Football Team

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Ever feel a little bit confused when your boyfriend starts talking about this Fantasy Football League? Or when you’re watching MNF (Monday Night Football) with your guy friends all you’re really thinking is, “How can anyone tell who these players are under all that gear and those funky helmets?”

Well wonder no more… I’m here to help you choose you’re very own “Fantasy” Football Team.

Let’s start at the beginning.  Each league typically begins with a draft, where you pick the most skilled, or in our case, best looking players.  Usually leagues consist of 16 rounds; meaning you would have 16 players on your roster.

The NFL is considered a “Quarterback’s League” because they control so much of the game, so let’s start with the playmakers.

Quarterback (QB):

Start: Tom Brady

(New England Patriots)

Bench: Russell Wilson

(Seattle Seahawks)

These two can virtually be switched on any given week. These QB’s can steal the show, not only with their great looks but as well as their completed passes and rushing yards. You really can’t go wrong with either of these!

Options to Add/Drop: Colin Kapernick (San Francisco 49ers), Cam Newton (Carolina Panthers) and Aaron Rogers (Green Bay Packers).

Running Backs (RB):

These are the guys you see taking the ball from the QB and sprinting down the field hoping no one will catch them. (Here’s to hoping they’re not that fast off the field.)

Start: Adrian Peterson

(Minnesota Vikings) 

Start: Robert Woods

(Buffalo Bills)

Two main reasons to pick up Adrian:

1.     He’s a beast on the field (ranked #1 at his position)

2.     He doesn’t look half bad on the sideline’s either

Bench: Reggie Bush (San Francisco 49ers), Arian Foster (Houston Texans)

Wide Receivers:

Next we have our Wide Receivers. Their job is to run down the field and catch a pass from the QB.  They are usually the ones you see scoring the really cool touch downs your guy friends talk about.

Start: Miles Austin

(Philadelphia Eagles) 

Miles Austin can surely run a route by me, and I’m even more sure any of us would throw him a pass to him any day.

Bench: Victor Cruz (New York Giants), Jordy Nelson (Green Bay Packers)

Tight Ends:

Tight ends? What kind of football position is that? Well these guys have a hybrid list of skills that range from speed to blocking.  Similar to a Wide Receiver, Tight Ends occasionally go long to catch passes but are also as used as linemen.  They really do it all… on and off the field.

Start: Jordan Cameron

(Miami Dolphins)

Bench: Dennis Pitta

(Baltimore Ravens)

Jordan recently traded from the Cleveland Browns to the Miami Dolphins because the Florida heat was a better match for his good looks.

Flex Position:

The flex position on a Fantasy Roster gives you an extra spot to start your choice of player.  Whether you pick them on skill or style, these guys give you a back up for your team in case one of your main guys is benched.

Start: WR: Eric Decker

(New York Jets)

Bench: TE: Jason Witten

(Dallas Cowboys)

My flex choice is Eric Decker because he’s a great catch all around (pun-intended). This hottie has caught many footballs but has also caught an equally stunning wife, country singer Jessie James.  I know it’s sad that this man is very much off the market, but we can still appreciate from afar.

Kicker:

Kicker? Are we watching football or futbol? Well, the kicker is the guy who comes on the field after his team scores a touchdown (worth 6 points) and kicks from the 15-yard line for an extra point. They also kick field goals if their team can’t complete the first down after the third down and are within kicking range. I may be a biased Steelers fan, but Shaun Suisham knows how to kick ‘em just as well as I know how to pick ‘em.  I’d recommend him for your fantasy kicker.

Start: K: Shaun Suisham

(Pittsburgh Steelers)

Defense:

D/ST: St. Louis Rams

Defense comes as a package deal in Fantasy Football so I’m going with the Rams, mainly because they come with Defensive End Chris Long.

DE: Robert Quinn, Cody Davis

CB: Marcus Roberson, Trumaine Johnson

So there you have it, a quick guide from Her Campus Xavier to help you stay informed this football season. Whether you’re stocking your fantasy or “fantasy” football team, good luck collegiettes!

Brittany is a senior accounting major from Saint Louis, Missouri and is a Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not organizing Her Campus Xavier, she can be found working with Tedx Xavier University or Xavier Women in Business. She  wishes she could spend all of her free time with puppies.