nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

End of Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey Circus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Earlier this year we were told that Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus, the world’s largest producer of family entertainment, was coming to an end. After showcasing circus skills and fun for 146 years, the final shows will be in May before closing down.

Ringling Brothers made headlines last year when they made the announcement that they would no longer be showing elephants. A plan that was set in motion even earlier, and was originally dated for 2018. On their website, they stated the loss of elephants as part of the reason for their closing.

“The decision to end the circus tours was made as a result of high costs coupled with a decline in ticket sales, making the circus an unsustainable business for the company. Following the transition of the elephants off the circus, the company saw a decline in ticket sales greater than could have been anticipated.”

The closing will affect more than 400 cast and crew that worked with the circus and provided live entertainment to around 10 million people per year. While many are saddened by the end of this long lived tradition, animal activist groups are hailing it as a victory due to the possession of elephants. The elephants have been a popular contribution to the circus’ success ever since 1883, when, according to the Ephemeral New York, Barnum offered to have his elephants walk across the brand new Brooklyn Bridge to test it out. While the first offer was denied, the following year the circus animals walked to prove to the public that the bridge was safe, and it was a promotional stunt for Barnum and Bailey.

They will be showing in Cincinnati from March 10th to 19th, and you can find tickets at their website.

Informational Websites: 1, 2, 3 Picture Source: 1, 2, 3

Amber Lauzé is a senior Entrepreneurial Studies and Management double major from Auburn, Maine. When not writing for HCXU, she can found at one of her many jobs, or hunting for her cat that likes to hide in blankets.