Edible Information: Cultured Eats, Part 1

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Craving something a bit more savory than Skyline? Well, fear not! You don’t have to travel far to find authentic, exotic cuisine. Cincinnati’s food culture is on the rise and providing a world’s worth of food in just one city. Here are a few of our favorites but be warned… they’re all delicious!

Chinese: KungFood Chu’s AmerAsia

Hours: M-Th: 11am – 9pm, Fri: 11am – 10pm, Sat: 4pm – 10pm, Sun: 11am – 9pm

Address: 521 Madison Ave. Covington, KY 41011

Price Range: $$

A combination of Soul Food and Kung Food, AmerAsia does not disappoint. The atmosphere is awesome, and the food is even better. If you like it spicy, this is definitely your place because most of the menu involves some heat!

Thai: Green Papaya

Hours: M-Th: 11am – 3pm, 5pm – 10pm, Fri-Sat: 11am – 3pm, 5pm – 10:30pm, Sun: 4pm – 9:30pm

Address: 2942 Wasson Rd. Cincinnati, OH 45209

Price Range: $$

You’re not only coming here for the food but also for the ambiance. The staff is incredibly friendly and the cuisine is as authentic as can be, not to mention, the menu is HUGE! The lunch boxes are a great option to get a little bit of everything.

Mexican: La Mexicana

Hours: M-Th: 11am – 9pm, Fri-Sat: 11am – 11pm, Sun: 11am – 8:30pm

Address: 642 Monmouth St. Newport, KY 41071

Price Range: $

This place will have your taste buds doing a Mexican Hat dance. With perfect authentic Mexican food, the guacamole is one of the best you will ever try. The staff is super friendly and you can even see the cooks preparing your food. But if the food isn’t enough, take a stroll through the grocery store and make your own authentic goodies at home!

Indian: Shaan

Hours: M-Fri:11am – 2pm, 5pm – 10pm, Sat: 11am – 2:30pm, 5pm – 10pm, Sun: 11:30am – 3pm, 5pm – 9pm

Address: 3880 Paxton Ave. Cincinnati, OH 45209

Price: $$

Shaan is a favorite with a great dinner menu and a lunch buffet. Garlic naan topped with spicy chicken tikka… it doesn’t get much better than that. The food is good, the price is great, and the service is even better. This Indian restaurant will never disappoint!

Japanese: Ichiban

Hours: M-Tu: 5pm – 11pm, W-Th: 5pm – 1am, Fri-Sat: 5pm – 2am, Sun: 5pm – 11pm

Address: 1020 Delta Ave. Cincinnati, OH 45208

Price: $$

This restaurant is great for a date night, anniversary, birthday, or just for those who are in the mood for sushi. Not to mention, the rolls are half priced seven days a week! The casual dim lighting adds a sort of ambiance to make the experience a bit romantic. The variety of rolls are great, and they always make room for you no matter how crowded! 

Layla Helton is a senior Advertising/Media Studies major born and raised in Cincinnati, Ohio. When she is not writing for HCXU she can be found sitting on her couch working, studying or watching the Bengals game. She spends the majority of her free time with her "goon squad" of friends engaging in all sorts of shenanigans.
Brittany is a senior accounting major from Saint Louis, Missouri and is a Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not organizing Her Campus Xavier, she can be found working with Tedx Xavier University or Xavier Women in Business. She  wishes she could spend all of her free time with puppies.