This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

As the colder weather settles in for good and you find yourself having some spare time at the beginning of the semester, getting crafty is always a great way to fill downtime.  Want to spoil your friends but on a budget? You can make these boot cuffs for more than 5 of your friends for the $5 cost of the yarn and loom. They are a great accessory for riding boots, and a simple way to keep those legs warmer this season.

I use the flower loom when I make boot cuffs, the threads can typically give a little stretch for larger calves.  This one is available at Walmart for only $7!

Next, you need some yarn to get things rolling!

When you have your loom and thread ready, wrap the end of the yarn around the placeholder peg a couple times. Sometimes I tie a small loose knot here so it won’t keep falling off.  Continue to wrap the yarn around the pegs this way (so that there is only one string in the front), and you want to do this twice.  Always push the row on the bottom down so that you can pull them over in the next step a little easier.

Next take you’re knitting hook and lift the bottom first threat over the top second thread. This now gives you your first row. Repeat this process until you have 20 rows or however long you prefer the cuff to be. At about the third or fourth row you can release the placement peg threads.

At the end, measure out a couple rows worth of thread. Then just simply continue like you did in the above step.  Once you’re towards the end, it will separate itself off of the loom.  Tie off the beginning and end threads and cut off the excess.  Sometimes I also just loop it through the other threads.

You’re all set! These simple cuffs will be great for your next outfit or gift for your roommate this holiday season!

For more of an explanation if you are having any problems please check out this website for troubleshooting. 

Image sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.

Brittany is a senior accounting major from Saint Louis, Missouri and is a Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not organizing Her Campus Xavier, she can be found working with Tedx Xavier University or Xavier Women in Business. She  wishes she could spend all of her free time with puppies.