Defend The Dreamers 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

In light of last week’s recent news of the Trump Administration choosing to end Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), the Xavier community has taken the stance to resist and fight for dreamers to support finding legislative solutions. Not only will this decision from the administration affect many people in our personal municipal, but as well as 800,000 other young Americans. In 2012, President Obama recognized that there were millions of undocumented young immigrants who were not “American” on paper. Through the development of the DACA program, the Obama Administration provided the relief to certain young immigrants if they met a series of requirements. From the program, many individuals and their families lives have improved regarding better jobs, entering school, and buying their first home. The end to the DACA program from order of the Trump Administration means an end for some immigrants to call our country home, and possibly the end of some members in our community calling Xavier home.  

When the Trump Administration announced their end to the program, Father Graham expressed his disappointment and commitment to defend our Xavier students in an email to the student body. “I, along with an overwhelming number of Americans, support protection for these young people. Helping secure a safe future for these DREAMers is a moral obligation for me in my role as President of Xavier University. Now is the time for all of us to step up as examples of ‘men and women for and with others.’”  

In response, Xavier College Democrats will be hosting the “DACA Rally” to show support to the Dream Act. The rally will be taking place Wednesday, September 13th 2017 at 1pm outside Bellarmine Chapel. Anyone in the Xavier community is invited to come together and show their commitment to defending the DACA program. 

Come defend the dreamers. 

Lauren is a senior Marketing major, with minors in Economics and Gender & Diversity Studies at Xavier University. She calls Nashville, Tennessee home, and is the Campus Correspondent and President of HCXU. When she is not writing, she is planning events on the Student Activities Council, building her resume with her brothers in Delta Sigma Pi, or making random Spotify playlists. She is a Diet Coke enthusiast, and wishes she could spend every day hiking or playing with her dog.