element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Christmas in Connecticut: A Must-See Christmas Comedy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Forget National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation and Home Alone because Christmas in Connecticut is your must-see Christmas comedy!

The 1945 film tells the story of Elizabeth Lane (Barbara Stanwyck), who writes a popular magazine column titled “Diary of a Housewife,” detailing every part of her farmhouse lifestyle in Connecticut. Her column is so popular, that a wounded soldier named Jefferson Jones (Dennis Morgan) reads it while he recovers in the hospital. Through the suggestion of Jefferson’s hospital nurse, the magazine’s publisher, Alexander Yardley (Sydney Greenstreet), invites Jefferson to spend Christmas at Elizabeth Lane’s home in Connecticut to experience her wonderful cooking and hospitality.

The only problem is that Elizabeth doesn’t actually live the lifestyle that she claims to. In fact, she doesn’t have a house in Connecticut, or a knack for cooking, or a husband, or a baby. Elizabeth is actually a bachelorette living in a New York apartment and has barely the cooking skills to boil water. As if this wasn’t bad enough, Alexander Yardley has no idea that her column is built on a lie. Hilarity ensues as Elizabeth must play pretend in her friend’s Connecticut farmhouse to be the perfect housewife that she describes in her column, hosting both Jefferson and Mr. Yardley for Christmas.

With the help of her friend, Felix (S.Z. Sakall) and John Sloan (Reginald Gardiner), Elizabeth manages to pull it off…almost. Spread some classic Christmas cheer by watching Christmas in Connecticut this holiday season!

Margot Bond

Xavier '20

Margot is a senior Economics, Sustainability, and Society major with minors in Political Science and Gender and Diversity Studies from Louisville, Kentucky. In addition to writing articles for Her Campus, she is a Resident Assistant at Xavier and involved in student sustainability. She loves listening to John Mayer, watching Netflix, and doing crosswords with her boyfriend. Most importantly, she is 100% a cat person.