Campus Profile: Mary Soukup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Name: Mary Soukup

Year: Sophomore

Major: Engineering Physics

Hometown: Aurora, Indiana

Fun Fact about yourself?

I can play 7 musical instruments (flute, clarinet, all three saxophones (tenor, baritone, alto), trumpet, and piccolo)).

Why did you learn all those instruments?

Because I could. I was bored in high school and didn’t like sports. This meant I had a lot of free time, so why not?

What are you involved in on campus?

I am a writer for Her Campus and a member of the physics club.

What is your favorite class?

I really like my electronics class right now.

Why did you pick your major?

Someone told me I couldn’t so I said, “Okay, watch me”. And I really like it.

With your major, what job profession do you want to do?

I don’t know the official title, but I wanna do research in Astrophysics, specifically dealing with black holes.

Would you ever go into space?

In a heartbeat.

What’s your favorite piece of advice you’ve ever gotten?

You can’t spend the rest of your life looking down at your feet, you have to look forward and enjoy the journey.

What is your favorite thing about Her Campus?

I like how it’s always laid back, and we always have fun. Even if we’re talking about serious things, we still find a way to make it fun.

Lauren is a senior Marketing major, with minors in Economics and Gender & Diversity Studies at Xavier University. She calls Nashville, Tennessee home, and is the Campus Correspondent and President of HCXU. When she is not writing, she is planning events on the Student Activities Council, building her resume with her brothers in Delta Sigma Pi, or making random Spotify playlists. She is a Diet Coke enthusiast, and wishes she could spend every day hiking or playing with her dog.