Campus Profile: Mariam Haque

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Name: Mariam Haque

Year: Sophomore

Major: Psychology

Hometown: Louisville, Kentucky

Fun Fact about yourself:

I went to the same middle school as Jennifer Lawrence.

What are you involved in on campus?

Her Campus, MSA, Psychology Club

Have you ever experienced any prejudice for being Muslim, and how did it affect you?

Yes I have. In middle school, another girl said that she didn’t like Obama because his dad was Muslim, and I asked her if she didn’t like me because I was Muslim. she said she thought I was Hindu instead.

How does it make you feel about all the Muslim prejudice in the USA?

I feel like in order for the prejudice to go away, people need to take the time to get to know someone who is Muslim and take the time to actually learn about it instead of focusing on the stuff that is circulated throughout social media.

What is your favorite class?

Dance Fusion

Why did you pick your major?

I took AP Psychology in high school and loved it. That’s when I knew that’s what I wanted to do.

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Clinical Psychologist

What’s a quote you live by?

“Happy people don’t have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.” – Unknown

What is your favorite thing about Her Campus?

I love the community that Xavier has because it is a smaller school and you get a better chance of getting to know a person better.

Mary Soukup is a Sophomore Engineering Physics Major at Xavier University from Aurora, Indiana. When she is not writing articles for Her Campus, she can be found studying or working at the Cincincinnati Zoo.