This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Meet Larkin Thomas: a fellow Buenger freshman named after her Grandmother’s maiden name she is passionate about Stranger Things, friendships, and making a meaningful change in the world. 

Hometown: Born at Duke Hospital in North Carolina and raised in Dublin, Ohio, starting at the age of two. Larkin experienced the quintessential upbringing but not without a few bumps along the road that led her to faith.  

Major: Exploratory. Or as she would put it “a ball of exciting anxiety while trying to make quite possibly your biggest life decision thus far!” 

Her Campus Xavier: What clubs/jobs/ activities are you involved in? 

Larkin Thomas: I am in the running club, CHAARG, Intramural Sports, Colleges Against Cancer, Coalition of Christain Outreach, X-Change, Companion Groups, and I serve as a Eucharistic and Lector at student-led masses at Bellarmine. 

HCX: What has been the best and worst moments of Xavier so far?

LT: Best – I really enjoy the deep conversations I have had with my new friends because it challenges my way of thinking and to grow as a person. I also love playing sand volleyball even though the ball comes dangerously close to my face. And probably playing explosive games of cards with my roommates and friends is my favorite thing to do on a lazy Saturday night. Worst – Where do I start? English rhetoric is a lot of writing, so naturally, that is stressful, one time I overslept and entirely missed a meeting I had with one of my professors so that was less than desirable. I thought I would be one of the rare freshmen that didn’t have roommate drama but I can’t say I fit in that category anymore. 

HCX: Can you tell me about your faith experience before and since coming to Xavier?

LT: Growing up I was raised Catholic but I never felt a deep connection to my faith until the winter of my junior year of high school. That year I attended a Catholic Youth Winter Camp where I can attest that my perspective on faith and God completely changed. 

I went and encountered different aspects of faith that I had never encountered before and I was overwhelmed with the passion, unconditional love, and joy that everyone there shared in the common belief in something bigger than us: God. After this experience, I felt a connection to God and felt the need to strengthen my relationship with Jesus Christ so then I went back to the summer camp version and I felt in more that the Holy Spirit was alive and present. After Camp, my frame of life switch to God being the source of everything in my life and I was set on fire with love and wanted to spread it. 

My faith senior year had ups and downs but through attending the camp I learned to remain in my faith even when I was questioning and doubting my faith. When looking for colleges I wanted one rooted in Catholicism so I could feel loved and supported in my faith. 

At Xavier, I feel there are lots of opportunities to live out your faith and certain aspects such as a service and justice are focused. Although I feel that one has to seek out true and authentic conversations about faith. And I currently feel I am living out my faith in an individual way but I am still searching for a community. I try to live out my faith in my everyday actions by the gifts of the Holy Spirit. 

HCX: What goals are you setting for yourself for this year and for your Xavier experience as a whole?

LT: This year I want to find my passion and which will lead me to choose a major that will help me find a fulfilling career. I also want to find a group of people that will support my passion and I am a champion for their passions. For my Xavier Experience I, want to remain faith-filled and inspire or be a light to the lives of others. I want to do this by inspiring kindness and create positive change on and off-campus. 

Fast Facts

Favorite movie: Remember the Titans 

Favorite book: Harry Potter Series 

Favorite food: Mashed Potatoes and butter noodles 

Favorite workout: dancing (Hit me up if you want to Irish Dance with me!)

Favorite spot on campus: Chapel of Our Lady of Peace 

Sophia is a Philosophy, Politics, and the Public (PPP) major. She is from Cleveland, Ohio and the youngest of four. When she is not being forced to read Plato you can find her around campus giving tours as a Student Ambassador for the Admissions department. Sophia is passionate about ice cream, marvel movies, and social justice issues.
Tasha Young is a senior Marketing and Communications major from Dallas, Texas. She is the Marketing Manager and Co-Correspondent for Her Campus Xavier and the Vice President of Xavier's Women In Business. She's a giant comic book nerd who loves Mexican food, pokehunting with her dog, and playing video games with her boyfriend.