Campus Profile: Julia Manring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Name: Julia Manring

Hometown: Chardon, OH

Year: Senior

Major: Social Work

What was your favorite class or professor? 

International relations with Dr. White

What’s your favorite memory from Xavier?

My favorite Xavier memory was definitely my first X basketball game. I was seriously contemplating transferring to College of Wooster because I was really homesick. My roommate, my friends and I decided to go to the first home game. I still remember that game as the turning point where I decided I wanted to stay and finish my undergrad at Xavier. 

What are your plans for after graduation?

I will be getting my masters in social work as well as my juris doctorate degree from Loyola University Chicago

So tell us about your internship with the Homeless coalition:

I was a social work intern and I spent a lot of my time advocating for the rights of those experiencing homelessness at City Hall and with Black Lives Matter.

What’s the greatest lesson you learned from your internship?

There were so many. I learned so much from the people I worked with and the clients I served. I think the greatest lesson I learned was how important it is to take care of yourself before you take care of others. 

We hear you had an adventurous spring break! Can you tell us about it?

I went backpacking in Shenandoah National Park with my dad for my 21st birthday. We hiked 35 miles in 3 days up 2 different mountains and we saw a bobcat! 

What’s your advice to incoming freshman?

You may feel like you’re drowning (and you might be) but keep going. You are stronger than you feel you are at your worst moments and tomorrow will be better. 

Kathryn Morgan is a Senior Marketing and Public Relations student from Cleveland, Ohio and is the Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not working with Her Campus she spends her time with AMA@X, Xavier Women in Business and finding any puppy close by. She loves macaroons, traveling and bad dad jokes.