Campus Celebrity: Jenny Niemeyer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Campus Celebrity: Jenny Niemeyer

Graduation year: 2017

Majors/minors: Business Sustainability & Management, Entrepreneurship minor

Hometown: Findlay, Ohio

Activities: D’Artagnan Enterprises, Entrepreneurship Club

How did you become involved with the Student Run Businesses and the Xavier Urban Farm?

I first attended a Student Run Business meeting at the end of my freshman year, when Dean Brian Till first initiated the program. This happened right before exam weeks at the end of the semester, but I had no doubt in my mind that I wanted to be involved with this program, as I have always been passionate about entrepreneurship. At the beginning of my sophomore year I actually could not make the group meeting, so I followed up with Owen Raisch, one of the directors. The farm was the most interesting venture to me, so I connected with the three students who were working on the idea and from there it is history!

What is your official role in the Urban Farm? When you came in as a freshman, did you ever expect that you would do something like this in college?

I am a Co-founder of the Xavier Urban Farm, and this past year I filled the role of CFO while being one of two main managers over the summer. If the school had a student run business program already in place I would have been all about it, but coming to Xavier I never expected to do something like this in college at the time. I am fortunate to have been a part of the program in its preliminary years, helping to lay the pathway for more students in years to come.

What has been the greatest struggle with the farm?

The greatest struggle that we overcame was working all summer long (our busy season) with only two of us involved. Rebecca Woodul and I were the two main farm managers, but we were also the only people actually working on the farm. This was a very challenging task as we were doing everything from the farm work to the business work and everything in between. Often times we would be working in the early morning until late at night and do the same on Saturdays and Sundays as well.

Do you have a specific moment where you were the most proud of all your work that you’ve put into making this a success?

Yes, I love working with and serving people. Part of what I have loved about the farm from the start is that we are doing something good for people. Who doesn’t want fresh produce locally grown, by friendly faces they know? One of the biggest rewards for me was getting to provide fresh produce to our customers and community members. It always made my day to see happy customers, and to be working with people who truly care about growing food and supporting local business.

Brittany is a senior accounting major from Saint Louis, Missouri and is a Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not organizing Her Campus Xavier, she can be found working with Tedx Xavier University or Xavier Women in Business. She  wishes she could spend all of her free time with puppies. 
Danielle Curtis is a Junior at Xavier University and is HCXU's Campus Correspondent. She is majoring in English with minors in media studies and writing. She loves traveling, reading, and watching videos of failed marriage proposals.