Campus Celeb: XUDT Takes on Daytona

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

This week’s campus celebrity is a little different than our normal interviews. This week we’re excited to shine the spotlight on the Xavier Dance Team! We kept up with them and created this “Day in the Life” to give you an exclusive look into what it’s really like being on the team. Can’t say we aren’t jealous of them getting to go down to Daytona! 

7 A.M. waking up in the morning, gotta get dressed, gotta…get to the beach side patio to practice jazz.  Yes, you read that right.  But it isn’t all sunshine and salty air, the Xavier University Dance Team put in hours of hard work to make it to Nationals.

Grab your sunscreen and gym shoes as we jet off to Daytona Beach, Florida to see the life of the Xavier Dance Team!

Wednesday:

After 12 hours of travel, we finally made it to the practice venue and had 30 minutes jam-packed with jumps, turns and tricks.  After our practice time, we headed to the hotel for a team meeting and pizza.  Since looking uniform is an important part to a dance performances, we spent the rest of the night painting nails and prepping for the competition.

Thursday:

GOOD MORNING DAYTONA! We met in the lobby for a quick practice.  But, hey, who can complain when this is your view!  After practice, we began the long process of hair and makeup.  16 pairs of false eyelashes and a bottle of hairspray later, everyone was dressed and ready to walk to the performance venue.  Everyone was in game mode, and after a quick practice XUDT was ready to hit the stage. The two-minute routine flew by, and we took our place in the audience to cheer on 25 other collegiate dance teams and wait for awards. After performing the routine for a second time, we headed to the beach to take some team pictures.

What’s a team picture without throwing the ‘X’?

Friday:

Time for finals! Since we didn’t compete until later in the day, we headed over to the bandstand to watch Jazz finals. When we were done soaking up some sun and watching some amazing dance teams, we headed back to the hotel to practice and get ready. Around dinner we headed back to the competition area to perform our Hip Hop routine. 

Check out our cool shoes!

Saturday:

XUDT spent the morning surrounded by other colligates from across the country watching more awesome hip-hop routines. Then. we headed to the beach to take a break, but that doesn’t mean the dancing stopped! We celebrated our last night at Nationals with dinner and team bonding.

Sunday:

Our last few hours in Daytona Beach were spent packing up costumes, makeup and practice clothes. We grabbed a quick bite to eat and headed to the airport.  Saying goodbye to Daytona was hard, but we will be back next year ready to take the stage!

If you’re interested in being part of this family of amazingly talented collegiettes, auditions are Friday May 1st from 5-8pm in the Cintas Aux Gym.

Kathryn Morgan is a Senior Marketing and Public Relations student from Cleveland, Ohio and is the Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not working with Her Campus she spends her time with AMA@X, Xavier Women in Business and finding any puppy close by. She loves macaroons, traveling and bad dad jokes.
Brittany is a senior accounting major from Saint Louis, Missouri and is a Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not organizing Her Campus Xavier, she can be found working with Tedx Xavier University or Xavier Women in Business. She  wishes she could spend all of her free time with puppies.