Campus Celeb: Jake Haigis

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Name: Jake Haigis

Hometown: Cincinnati, OH  

Graduation year: 2016

Majors/minors: Economics major

Activities you’re involved in: I’m a part of the Community Engaged Fellowship, Unified for Uganda, a Manresa leader and March Gladness Campaign Team. Previously involved with Student Government and was an Office of Student Involvement intern.

Something everyone should know about you: Sometimes I dream about watching Friends on Netflix and eating French Fries from McDonalds all day. Those are a few of my favorite things.

Favorite spot in Cincinnati: I think it’s really cool what they have done with The Banks and all of the restaurant, bars, and parks they have in that area, but I also love going to Over The Rhine for food, drinks, or just to hang out.

If we asked your friends to describe you in three words, what would they say?

“Please do less.”

When did you become involved with Unified for Uganda? 

I actually got involved in high school. There was a chapter where I went to school and had the opportunity to go to Uganda the summer after my sophomore year. I’ve been hooked ever since.

What is your role in this organization?

I am the treasurer for our chapter at Xavier, but I also serve on the board of directors for the organization where I help to build new chapters and design new programs and develop our organization in Uganda.

What’s your favorite event that you’ve done with U4U?

When I was a freshman at Xavier, I planned an event for all of the chapters to participate in, and we did a mock Amazing Race across the city of Cincinnati. Teams of 4 were given a driver, and they got clues taking them to different destinations across the city where they would have to complete different challenges that related to the lives of the children we support in Northern Uganda. Everyone had so much fun and, seeing as I love The Amazing Race, I was all about it.

What is one thing you want everyone on campus to know about U4U and its mission?

It’s a great organization to join if you are looking to be a part of something bigger than yourself. We pride ourselves on the family we build not only within each chapter but with everyone involved in the organization both here in the states and in Uganda.

Has your involvement with U4U inspired or changed you in any specific way?

Being a part of U4U has changed how I see the world entirely. I have gained new perspectives on what it means to do service and how to live life with a purpose. As I get ready to graduate, I am excited to see how my experiences with U4U and service in general have prepared me for the real world.

What is one of your biggest accomplishments thus far at Xavier/have you done anything on campus that you feel has been positively impactful?

My biggest accomplishment was being asked to be your Campus Celebrity. I think I’m going to put this on my resume.

What are you plans for after graduation?

If I had a dollar for every time I got this question I think I would have enough money that I wouldn’t even need a job…. But the job search is a work in progress. There is a good chance I will be staying at Luxottica where I interned this past summer and currently work part time.

Allison Wisyanski is a junior English major and Writing minor from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and is a featured writer for HCXU. Allison also writes for the Arts and Entertainment column for the Xavier Newswire. Her guilty pleasures are Nicholas Sparks novels, the color pink, and Nutella. She's a lover of travel and in her spare time, she enjoys to binge-watch JFK documentaries, shop, run, and soak up the sun.
Brittany is a senior accounting major from Saint Louis, Missouri and is a Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not organizing Her Campus Xavier, she can be found working with Tedx Xavier University or Xavier Women in Business. She  wishes she could spend all of her free time with puppies.