This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Top 5 Christmas Rom Coms on Netflix

At long last, the Christmas season is upon us! During this time of the year I love making holiday cookies, drinking peppermint mochas, listening to Christmas songs, and of course, watching cheesy Rom Com movies. In recent years, Netflix has created their own Hallmark-style Christmas movies, which is great if you don’t have access to the actual Hallmark channel. Here is a list of my top 5 favorite Christmas Rom coms currently on Netflix.

1. A Christmas Prince

This movie will one day be a Christmas classic. In this movie, an American girl travels to the made up European kingdom of Maldovia, to report on the “playboy” prince’s return. She ends up sneaking into the castle and pretends to be the princess’ tutor in order to get the inside scoop and of course, fall in love with the prince along the way. I love this movie a lot because of the relationships that form between her and other members of the royal family, specifically with Princess Emily. If you end up enjoying this movie, be sure to check out the sequel, A Christmas Prince Royal Wedding, and the third movie A Christmas Prince Royal Baby coming out this year. 

2. Christmas in the Smokies

I love this movie because the main character Shelby falls in love with a country music star, which is basically my dream come true. Shelby’s ex boyfriend Mason Wyatt, who also happens to be a famous country music star, returns to their small town for the holidays. Her family’s farm is going bankrupt, so she has to reach out to Mason for his help by throwing a Christmas concert to save the farm.

3. The Princess Switch

This movie is great because it’s features double the amount of Vanessa Hudgens! American Vanessa Hudgens is a baker in Chicago and enters a baking competition at a castle in Belgravia. While there, she meets the queen of Belgravia who looks exactly like her. Unsatisfied with their lives, the switch places and fall in love with each other’s boys.  If you end up liking this movie, be sure to check out the sequel which will feature THREE Vanessa Hudgenses and premiere sometime in 2020.

4. The Holiday Calendar

One of the only diverse holiday rom coms, this movie stars Kat Graham, one of my fav girls from the Vampire Diaries. Kat’s character Abby receives an advent calendar, which at first she thinks is boring. However, she soon realizes that what is in the calendar for that day happens in real life, leading Abby to believe that the calendar is magical. The calendar makes her meet a guy named Ty, and soon a love triangle unfolds between Ty and her longtime friend Josh.

5. Christmas Inheritance

This is a classic Hallmark type Christmas movie. The main character is a snooty businesswoman in New York City who is forced  to travel to a small town to deliver a handwritten note in person. While there, she learns how to be a decent human being and falls in love with a hot guy who is probably too good for her.

Megan is a history major, with a minor in Professional Education. She is from Aurora, Illinois but hates the cold weather of the north. She loves music, especially Taylor Swift who she has also met. She often spends too much time watching Netflix and eating cookies.
Allison Kane

Xavier '20

Allison Kane is a senior Marketing major and Spanish minor at Xavier University. When she's not working on the HerCampus Xavier Marketing Team, she spends her time, playing catch with her "unwilling" friends, eating Kit Kats and haning out with her fish.