Beginner’s Guide to Sushi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

When people ask you your favorite food, what do you say? For so many people, the go to answer for this question is sushi. There are individuals who would eat sushi every day and every night. They would have it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That being said, even though sushi is a favorite food for many individuals, there are still lots of people who do not know the basics of sushi. Here are some basic facts about sushi so that you can be well informed on this amazing dish. Bon Appetit!

What is Sushi?

As defined by Merrian Webster dictionary, sushi is “a Japanese dish of cold cooked rice shaped in small cakes and topped or wrapped with other ingredients”. The fish used in the sushi could either be served raw or cooked.

When and Where did Sushi Originate? 

The inspiration for sushi came about in southwest Asia and in the mid 1800s, the current idea of sushi was established in Japan by Hanaya Yohei.

What are two common types of sushi? 

• Maki Sushi: sushi wrapped in seaweed
  • Nigiri Sushi: fish on top of a packed together pile of rice

What are some common types of seafood used in sushi?

• Tuna

• Salmon

• Shrimp

• Eel

• Yellowtail

• Red Snapper

• Crab

• Squid

• Trout

What is Wasabi and Ginger?

• Wasabi is considered to be Japanese Horseradish. It is a spicy green taste that can accompany the taste of sushi

• Ginger is also known as Gari. It is pickled, and it is meant to cleanse one’s taste palette in between eating different types of sushi

It is important to know the basics of sushi in order to dip your toes into the world that is sushi. It has been around for a very long time, and its popularity will only continue to grow. If you have never tried sushi before, go out there and taste it. You won’t know if you like it until you try! With this beginning information about sushi, you will be on the road towards sushi expertise!

Image Sources: 1, 2, 3, 

Information Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4

Katie Pfeifer is a sophomore Psychology major and Gender and Diversity Studies minor. She is from Springboro, Ohio, which is about 20 minutes south of Dayton. She love to shop, dance, hang out with her friends, and listen to music. She is obsessed with animals, watching youtube videos, and traveling! She has written for Her Campus Xavier and in the past, she worked on the marketing team! She always has a smile on her face, and she loves to make people happy! :)