Anatomy of a Girl Who Studies Anatomy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Ahh, anatomy. The classic requirement for any student who wishes to study nursing, premed, occupational therapy, athletic training… (and for some reason, psychology – sorry psych majors!). Anatomy, with all its memorization and the monster amount of material you’re responsible for, is, well… a pain in the perineal region to say the least. 

For anyone taking this class, who wouldn’t want to be that girl who magically knows exactly what’s going on, has all her flashcards done two weeks before an exam, scores well on tests, and also manages to stay awake throughout the hour fifteen minute lecture?

This is the anatomy of that girl. 

source

External:

Ocular Region (aka the eyes) – focused straight ahead or down at her notebook, scanning notes of the projector

Scapular Region (aka the upper back) – hunched over, her body is engaged in her work and she is writing furiously

Manus region (aka the hand) – in one hand, she’s holding a pen and highlighter; in the other hand, a notecard from her set on medical vocabulary

Pedal region (aka the foot) – walking, on her way to open lab or her teacher’s office hours

Cranial region (aka the head) – busy applying the concepts she learned from class, not just going over memorization. She knows that the best way to master the information is to make bigger connections between the material and her world.

Femoral region (aka her lap) – balancing a textbook on her thigh as she studies. You can’t know all the material just from the lecture; you have to refer to the book, too!

Internal:

In her bloodstream – adrenaline, as she sits down to her exam. She’s anxious but she’s ready!

In her backpack – lecture and lab textbooks, notecards, highlighters, and an anatomy coloring book to help her study in her free time

In her planner – the dates of her tests and quizzes for the rest of the semester and her SI’s times for the week

Anatomy girls – what’s YOUR anatomy? How do you study for the class that kicks you’re butt?

Katie Kennedy is an occupational therapy major from Aurora, Illinois. She is the Marketing Chair for HCXU, runs the Twitter page, and occasionally dabbles in article-writing. When not ruling over her noble subjects of the marketing team, Katie is usually in the gym working out or in the caf nursing her waffle addiction. 
Brittany is a senior accounting major from Saint Louis, Missouri and is a Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not organizing Her Campus Xavier, she can be found working with Tedx Xavier University or Xavier Women in Business. She  wishes she could spend all of her free time with puppies.