90’s Fashion That’s Making a Comeback

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Oops! I did it again… You know what they say about history repeating itself? We’ve found some modern updates on classic styles that were totally in vogue back in the day. Check out these 90’s fashion trends that are making their way around again.

1. Chokers 

Once thought to be a necklace of the past is making its way back to the front lines. Black, white, tight or loose, these trendy necklaces are flocking to the shelves. Who knew that they were still totally fetch? 

2. Plaid skirts

Anyone else think of Cher? She owned those plaid skirts in the iconic Clueless and now this style is coming back around. You thought you saw the end of plaid skirts in the 90’s? As if!

3. Crop tops

The queen of midriff flaunted her toned tummy in the 90’s. Now, we too can live up to Britney’s fashion style because crop tops are back and they’re better than ever. 

4. Flannel 

Smells like teen spirit… Kurt Cobain and Jared Leto rocked the flannel inspiring people in 2015 to pull out their flannel. Red, blue, black, green or any colors in between, flannels are a perfect example of the 90’s fashion that’s now all the rage. 

5. Denim

Alright, we know this is early 2000’s but remember the overload of denim, jeans, skirts, dresses, and jorts? Britney and Justin pulled out everything they had for this 90’s trend. Although, this may be an extreme, denim is making its way back to today’s fashion, but you could always go for a more subtly denim look. 

6. Overalls

Overalls are no longer a trend of the past. TLC are our denim inspiration on this front. Now, this is a unique style to pull out of your closet; loose to fitted, and short to long, overalls are a trend that give everyone the freedom to be creative and show their style.  

7. Platform shoes

The Spice Girls owned these shoes by bringing their British fashion to the states. Today, these shoes are now all the rage and perfect for you if you need some extra heel or need a little spice for your look. 

8. Knee high socks

Liv Tyler showed us that anyone can wear knee high socks in the 90’s. Now you too can flaunt those legs! Knee high socks are perfect for accentuating the leg and portraying a slimmer look. 

9. Hoop earrings 

Brandy rocked those hoops back in the day, and who wouldn’t want to look as fabulous as she did? Hoop earrings are bigger and more circular than ever. Add these to your next shopping list, because this fashion trend is coming back on top. 

10. Representing the underwear

Aaliyah represented her underwear in the 90’s letting anyone and everyone know who she was wearing. If Rihanna is any indication, now it’s time for us to show the world who we’re wearing.

Say bye bye bye 2000’s because 90’s fashion is back in style, so it’s time for us to flaunt our inner 90’s kid and show everyone what we’re made of. 

Brittany is a senior accounting major from Saint Louis, Missouri and is a Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not organizing Her Campus Xavier, she can be found working with Tedx Xavier University or Xavier Women in Business. She  wishes she could spend all of her free time with puppies.