8 Moments From Manresa Ranked by Awkwardness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Freshman orientation can have a lasting impact on your experience at Xavier—it’s where you first meet your peers, find your way around campus, and get acclimated to your new life in college. While the Manresa program does a great job of welcoming freshmen into the muskie community, it’s also four days filled with some of the most awkward encounters of your freshman year.

If you had orientation four years ago or four weeks ago, you can probably relate to these awkward Manresa moments.

Source

1. The First Ice-Breaker

Awkwardness ranking: So high it literally can’t be measured.

You just left your parents, you know none of these people, and now you have to introduce yourself. That first icebreaker was cringe-worthy, as you internally panicked at the idea of having to complete your first “Xavier Introduction” (How do I say my name again? What’s my major? Do I even have a fun fact about myself?).  But your Manresa leaders were just eating it up with their goofy cheers and decorated signs.

Source

2. The First Supper (get it…?)

Awkwardness ranking: Like a big ol’ awkward hug that you just don’t know how to get out of.   

Magically, the table self-segregated guys on one end and girls on the other. This basically happened every meal unless your leader made you change seats. There’s just something about being with new people that makes you revert back to your habits in kindergarten…That meal was filled with SILENCE. Just complete AWKWARD SILENCE. Because, somehow, you forgot how to talk to people like a normal human.

Source

3. When you forget the name of the person you’re talking to

Awkwardness ranking: Like forgetting the name of your date, only less bad. 

Here’s how the conversation goes: You say, “Hi, what’s your name? What’s your major?” and five seconds afterward you have no idea what their name or major is. But come on, you meet like A MILLION people during orientation. How are you supposed to remember everyone’s name?! Thank goodness for the nametags though, amirite?

Source

4. Playing Kumcha

Awkwardness ranking: Kinda feeling like you accidentally landed yourself in a cult.  

What even is this game? Who came up with it? All you know is that your knees hurt from bouncing up and down so much and you lost your voice from saying “bunny, bunny, bunny, bunny” and “toki, toki, toki” over and over again.  

Source

5. “Sex Signals”

Awkwardness ranking: Way more awkward than it should have been.

We’re practically adults here!  Ah, Sex Signals. The comedic way to talk about serious stuff, like sexual assault and hook-up culture. TBH, this program really rocks. What’s awkward is the group talk afterward when no one wants to say what they think.

Source

6.Your first moment of free time

Awkwardness ranking: Awkward only because you don’t know what to do.

Manresa schedule is PACKED. So when you have free time to yourself, you just don’t know what to do with it. It’s the first time in three days that you have to make your own decision of what to do with your time. Like and adult. DUN DUN DUUUN.

Source

7. Your Excitement at Craig Karges

Awkwardness ranking: Not the least bit awkward—just awesome!

You heard your Manresa leaders freaking out about Craig Karges all day, but you were uncool and didn’t believe them when they told you it was the best part about Manresa. Let’s just say you are no longer a skeptic of Craig and his powers.

Source

8. Your last Ice-Breaker and Small Group meeting

Awkwardness ranking: Error. No awkwardness detected.  

Give yourself a high-five ‘cause you’ve now mastered the Xavier Introduction! By the end of four days you’ve miraculously shed your fear of talking to people and you’ve thought of a couple fun facts about yourself. Turns out this whole orientation thing wasn’t so bad—you’ll even miss your group a little bit.

Source

Congratulations! You’ve successfully gotten through all these awkward moments and you still have your dignity. Go forth and enjoy your time at Xavier!

Margot Bond

Xavier '20

Margot is a senior Economics, Sustainability, and Society major with minors in Political Science and Gender and Diversity Studies from Louisville, Kentucky. In addition to writing articles for Her Campus, she is a Resident Assistant at Xavier and involved in student sustainability. She loves listening to John Mayer, watching Netflix, and doing crosswords with her boyfriend. Most importantly, she is 100% a cat person.