The 7 Stages of Coffee Addiction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Let’s face it, there is no way that most of us could ever get through college without the help of the magical liquid called coffee. Those select few that do manage to get through their 8 a.m. without filling up their mug first have been gifted with some sort of super power. Every avid coffee drinker remembers their first sip of coffee, and that is where it all began….

Stage 1: You’ve taken your first sip of coffee, and you don’t know if you are a fan of its bitter taste quite yet… and then it hits you. You feel awake and ready to take on the day, and you realize coffee is pretty great.

Stage 2: This is when you start to appreciate coffee for what it is, and you come to enjoy trying a different kind every once in a while. You don’t quite have an addiction to it yet, so you might pick up a cup of joe on your way to class or to work, maybe once or twice a week.

Stage 3: At this point you’re drinking coffee every morning with breakfast, but just one cup of it. A cup a day is actually healthy for you, so it’s okay right?

Stage 4: So now you’ve upped your coffee intake to two cups a day. But it’s okay, because you tell yourself it’s to get through that one annoying and utterly boring afternoon class.

Stage 5: You’re still at two cups a day, but when did your coffee mug all of a sudden get bigger? Hmmmm…. guess you’ll never figure out how that happened…

Stage 6: You are now at the stage of denial. Everyone else around you knows that the only way you get through your day is constant coffee consumption, but you still tell yourself and everyone else around that you can do without it, just not today… or the next day….. or the next day. 

Stage 7: Acceptance. You have accepted the fact that yes, you are in fact addicted to coffee, and you are okay with that, and no you’re not going to stop drinking it anytime soon!

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.

Mary Soukup is a Sophomore Engineering Physics Major at Xavier University from Aurora, Indiana. When she is not writing articles for Her Campus, she can be found studying or working at the Cincincinnati Zoo. 
Danielle Curtis is a Junior at Xavier University and is HCXU's Campus Correspondent. She is majoring in English with minors in media studies and writing. She loves traveling, reading, and watching videos of failed marriage proposals.