courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Things You Learn From Living With Your Friends in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Most of us who get the privilege of rooming with our good friends throughout college will probably take it for granted. This inbetween time of rooming with friends may be a test before moving in with a significant other or maybe it’s a getaway from being at home. Either way, we get to fill this time with unforgettable memories and hopefully some life-long friendships. Regardless, it doesn’t take very long to learn a few things… 

1. We are all so different.

But that is just fine. Sometimes, that’s what makes you all such good friends. You don’t have to agree on every little detail to get along with each other. It’s like you’re a little bit of everything all rolled in to one (house).

2. You will share everything.

From clothes, food and even sometimes (unfortunately) boys.  Don’t be surprised when your new top goes missing from your closet or your ice cream from the freezer.

3. You always have someone around.

You never get lonely in a full house. Yes, you will go a little crazy when you feel like you never get any alone time, but you’ll be thankful when you’re going through a break up or need someone to do your hair. Sometimes, just being with your friends is more important for your happiness than homework.

4. Fighting is inevitable.

Constantly being surrounded by girls who are stressed about class, boys, and so much more will push you past your limits. You’ll be in the line of fire more than your fair share of times when you’re living on top of each other. Be considerate of one another!

5. It’s like a four-year-long sleepover.

And the best part is no one has to sleep on the floor. Yes, there’s drama and let’s not forget that we’re all here to get an education, but it’s also a lot of fun. You get to live with your BEST friends and hang out with them every single day, who wouldn’t love that?!

6. These girls will become your family.

You spend countless days and nights together. You tell each other everything, maybe more than some want to hear. Most of the time you see them more than your actual family. You will go through some of the most memorable times of your life with these girls. You’ll tell your children about the times your shared. This is probably the best part of it all: these people will be a part of you forever.

Brittany is a senior accounting major from Saint Louis, Missouri and is a Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not organizing Her Campus Xavier, she can be found working with Tedx Xavier University or Xavier Women in Business. She  wishes she could spend all of her free time with puppies.