6 Reasons Why You Should Study Abroad Next Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Everyone’s always telling you that you should study abroad… and they aren’t wrong! If you find yourself needing some more persuasion to commit to studying abroad next year, look no further. Your next college adventure awaits!

You get to learn outside of the classroom

You’ve always wanted to learn more life skills and less calculus, and studying abroad is the perfect place to do that! While abroad you will learn to navigate new places and transit systems, to speak with and understand people who are different from you, to appreciate other cultures, and so much more!

You’ll become even more self-confident

Studying abroad impacts your personal growth in so many powerful ways, especially in your ability to be independent and self-confident. Sometimes being abroad can feel like you’ve been thrown to the wolves, but learning to fend for yourself and find your own path is how you ultimately learn to grow independently.

There are so many amazing photo ops

Being abroad means that you get to be a student and a tourist! Wherever you go, there are bound to be some amazing sites for taking photos for your future scrapbook. Now you can finally be that person who shares a ton of travel photos on Instagram!

You will be challenged in meaningful ways

Studying abroad will challenge you to branch out of your comfort zone, to take responsibility for your actions, to try loads of new things, to better manage your budget, to plan your life, and to question your point of view.

It will open your worldview wide open

There’s nothing quite like traveling to open up a whole new world of experiences for you. Studying abroad is the perfect opportunity to try new things that your ordinary college experience wouldn’t provide– like taking weekend trips to new countries, eating delicious street foods, and staying up ‘til all hours hanging out with your traveling cohort.

It’s certifiably the best part of your college experience

When will you ever get to galavant around the world ever again?! Taking the leap to study abroad could be the experience that opens up your entire perspective on the world and yourself.

Margot Bond

Xavier '20

Margot is a senior Economics, Sustainability, and Society major with minors in Political Science and Gender and Diversity Studies from Louisville, Kentucky. In addition to writing articles for Her Campus, she is a Resident Assistant at Xavier and involved in student sustainability. She loves listening to John Mayer, watching Netflix, and doing crosswords with her boyfriend. Most importantly, she is 100% a cat person.
Allison Kane

Xavier '20

Allison Kane is a senior Marketing major and Spanish minor at Xavier University. When she's not working on the HerCampus Xavier Marketing Team, she spends her time, playing catch with her "unwilling" friends, eating Kit Kats and haning out with her fish.