5 Spring Cleaning Tips for a Fresh Start

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Before spring even hits everyone is in a tizzy over spring cleaning. At the first day of warm weather and the snow starts to melt, an energy ripples through the air telling the world that it’s time to clean up and clear out the winter blues. While the task is monumental, it doesn’t have to be scary. Here are 5 tips to help you get the new season started.

1. Air out your pillows and blankets by hanging them outside in the sun and wind. While you’re at it, hang your laundry outside too to save energy at the same time.

2. Dust builds up where you would least expect it, so get those easy to forget places like lamps, ceiling fans, and curtains. Finish your ceiling fans with a wood polish or buffer to keep them looking fresh, and clean longer.

3. Deep clean your drawers and closet. Take it all out and determine if you’ve worn it in the past year. If you haven’t, it’s time to go. While your closet is empty clean it of cobwebs, dust, and give it a good once over.

4. While you’re cleaning out your clothes, use the opportunity to discard things you never use like old magazines, books, makeup, mugs, and knick-knacks. Decluttering your home means fewer things to accumulate dust and a better peace of mind.

5. Replace the filters in your home. Whether it’s an air vent, a dehumidifier, or even in your vacuum. They can’t work as well as you want them too if they’re full of dust and junk. Replace them if needed, or wash them to reuse.

Amber Lauzé is a senior Entrepreneurial Studies and Management double major from Auburn, Maine. When not writing for HCXU, she can found at one of her many jobs, or hunting for her cat that likes to hide in blankets.