4 Reasons Why We Need to Give T-Swift a Break (as told by Her Song Titles)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

source

I remember listening to my first Taylor Swift song. I was in the 5th grade, devastated the boy of my dreams was “dating” (aka spending valuable recess time with) my best friend. I heard her song, “Teardrops on My Guitar” and I was instantly hooked. Now, a freshman in college, I can say Taylor Swift has been the background music in every stage of my life. Taylor didn’t always have literally the entire world as her fan base; she still had plenty of Swift-snakes against her until she called them out in “Shake it Up.” But now that her latest album, 1984, has received so much attention and success, Taylor shocked the world with a hint that she might want to take a break. Cruel irony, huh?

I know how you feel. We all feel that pain. Taylor Swift is finally loved by ALL and now she’s just going to go hide under a rock? What are we going to listen to once we get sick of “Wildest Dreams,” Tay?

While we are begging her to “Stay Stay Stay,” let’s just remember that Taylor Swift is a person. That’s something she always tries to tell us through her very personable lyrics. This girl can take a break if she wants to! If we didn’t get our Fall Break, wouldn’t we get tired, too? So, here’s my list of reasons why we should respect our favorite singer’s decision and let Taylor go:

1. “Everything Has Changed” 

source

Taylor took an incredible risk with her last album by hopping genres and then cutting her hair, something she had once promised she’d never do (see her foreword to 1984). Sometimes the best thing to do when you experience a lot of change is to keep everything around you constant and simple – and who wouldn’t want to spend some time at home?

2. “Bad Blood” 

source

Don’t forget, Taylor’s mom has recently been diagnosed with cancer (aka she has Bad Blood). Taylor and I both don’t get to see our moms very much (though for her, she’s busy touring the country while I’m just away at college). I think she more than deserves that time with her mama!

3.  “Fearless” 

source

Taylor loves to take risks. After all she has accomplished with her new album, the biggest risk she could take now would be stepping back from the fame. If there’s anyone who could find success and meaning in this decision, it would be our wise, thoughtful girl Taylor!

4. “Begin Again” 

source

Swift’s sense of change and accomplishment are through the roof this year. If you were seeing your face on every billboard sign and magazine cover, wouldn’t it be hard for you to step out of your comfort zone, too? Give the girl a break and besides… what better way for Taylor to come up with new material than while she is relaxed and resting? Who knows what wonders are waiting for us via her mastermind once she has taken some time to rediscover herself!

We love and support you, Taylor, and we’ll be waiting for you when you come back! 

source

Katie Kennedy is an occupational therapy major from Aurora, Illinois. She is the Marketing Chair for HCXU, runs the Twitter page, and occasionally dabbles in article-writing. When not ruling over her noble subjects of the marketing team, Katie is usually in the gym working out or in the caf nursing her waffle addiction. 
Brittany is a senior accounting major from Saint Louis, Missouri and is a Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not organizing Her Campus Xavier, she can be found working with Tedx Xavier University or Xavier Women in Business. She  wishes she could spend all of her free time with puppies.