17 Things that Happen When You Are Gluten Free

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

1. Your first trip to the grocery store on your own took forever.

2. You will develop a loving bond with your favorite GF brands and foods.

3. You’ll be asked what exactly gluten is more times than you can count.

4. People will tell you they know exactly how you feel since their mom’s brother’s neighbor’s daughter’s teacher’s sister couldn’t eat gluten.

5. Someone will tell you that celiac isn’t real.

6. You will get used to eating at home before going anywhere, just in case.

7. You will happy dance when you find food that tastes like your old non-GF favs.

8. Someone will accuse you of doing this to “be trendy” or “lose weight.”

9. You’ll (eventually) learn to be OK with spending two times as much for your groceries.

10. You can’t talk about oats anymore.  Don’t even ask.

11. Your search history will consist mainly of “is this gluten free?” and “does that contain gluten?”

12. You will fall in love with chefs who understand what gluten free actually means.

13. You will get used to hearing “I could never be gluten free. I’d die if I couldn’t have pasta.”

14. Finding out there is all-purpose gluten free flour was the best day ever.

15. The holidays will feel like a battlefield.

16. You will get mad at random ingredients and household appliances…. Why did you have to do this to us soy sauce.  And you too toaster, with all your sneaky breadcrumbs

17. You dream of the day when you’ll have your own kitchen where everything will be gluten free. And it will be marvelous!

Kathryn Morgan is a Senior Marketing and Public Relations student from Cleveland, Ohio and is the Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not working with Her Campus she spends her time with AMA@X, Xavier Women in Business and finding any puppy close by. She loves macaroons, traveling and bad dad jokes.
Brittany is a senior accounting major from Saint Louis, Missouri and is a Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not organizing Her Campus Xavier, she can be found working with Tedx Xavier University or Xavier Women in Business. She  wishes she could spend all of her free time with puppies.