13 Halloween Movies for the Easily Scared

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

Is this you during scary movies?

source

Have no fear collegiettes, because we got you covered: here are 13 Halloween films that don’t go bump in the night.

1. Hocus Pocus

source

“I put a spell on you and now you’re mine!” The famous Sanderson sisters are back this year and they’re wreaking more havoc than ever. If you’ve never seen this wicked tale, it follows three witches who are resurrected from the dead. In order to stay alive, they must steal the lives of children. It’s perfect for you if you are easily scared because it provides all of the haunting themes and humor with none of the scare. 

2. Halloweentown

source

Throwback anyone? Halloweentown is one of the most iconic Halloween movies from the 90’s. After Marnie finds out she’s a witch, she travels to Halloweentown, a place where all the ghouls reside. Once she gets there, though, she learns that something evil is lurking in the shadows. This movie is far from scary in fact most of the ghouls here are extremely friendly. Who knew? 

3. The Addams Family  

source

Are you more of a family person? Then The Addams Family Movie is the one for you. Sure, they’re a pretty non-conventional bunch but, hey, they’re definitely unique. In this flick, you’ll uncover all the mysteries and the spookiness that is the Addams family. The story follows the family and a man claiming to be their Uncle Fester. As the story progresses, so do suspicions: is this man really who he says he is? You’ll have to watch to find out.

4. The Craft

source

High school… can there be anything scarier? Maybe, if you combine high school, teenagers, and witches. Such is the case in this film. After Sarah transfers to a new high school she draws the attention of some female wannabe witches who just so happen to be looking for a fourth member in their group. Will Sarah live up to their expectations or will she fall short? This movie incorporates some horror, some teenage drama, and some killer 90’s fashion. 

5. Beetlejuice 

source

“Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice.” When a newlywed couple dies in a car accident, they find themselves haunting their home in order the rid the new occupants of the house. The only problem is that these new occupants are far from scared, so the couple decides to hire a scare expert – Beetlejuice. The film incorporates music, dancing, and a lot of humor. 

6. The Nightmare Before Christmas

source

Do skeletons have your interests? Perhaps rag dolls, the bogeyman, or a mad scientist? What about a whole town filled with ghosts and ghouls? If that’s the case, this movie is perfect for you. Follow the story of Jack Skellington who becomes increasing bored of Halloween. What better way to switch things up and change Halloween? By stealing Christmas, of course. The movie features music, romance, and possesses the spirit of Halloween. 

7. Twitches 

source

Two words: twin witches. Follow Alex and Camryn as they uncover the secret to their birth and figure out the challenges of magic. If you loved early 2000’s Disney Channel, this is the perfect film to watch. With no scare factor to be concerned about, you can spend all your time assessing the style choices.

8. Edward Scissorhands

source

Young Johnny Depp, anyone? Alright, he might look a little different than he usually would at the time but underneath it all he’s still the young Johnny we all adore. In the film, he plays Edward Scissorhands, who, like his name suggests, has scissors for hands. However, after a woman takes him into her home he begins to uncover some deep feelings for the woman’s daughter. 

9. Practical Magic

source

Need more witches? Follow two sisters as they learn sorcery, strengthen their bond and as they battle against the family curse that says that the men they fall in love with are doomed to die. If you’re a Sandra Bullock fan, then this movie is a must see. 

10. Ghostbusters

source

“When there’s something strange in your neighborhood, who ya gonna call?” Ghostbusters follows three men as they gather together and start a ghost catching business. The film is a classic movie of ghost busting and is a perfect watch in order to prepare for the new Ghostbusters film that will be released in 2016. 

11. Casper

source

Feeling nostalgic? Perhaps you’re a fan of the friendly ghost, Casper? Or maybe you’re just looking for a feel good movie. In any of these situations, Casper is the movie for you. Dr. Harvey and his daughter Kat move into a home that is inhabited by ghost. Quickly Kat and Casper become friends but Dr. Harvey gives unwanted help to  Casper’s ghost uncles to cross over to the “other side.” Casper is a perfect go to movie if you just want a feel good film. 

12. The Lost Boys

source

Love vampires but need something different from Twilight? How about a gang of vampires and two brothers that are thrown in the midst of it all? Michael and Sam move to California; Michael becomes drawn to a beautiful girl who leads him into a gang of vampires, while Sam befriends some vampire hunters. What will happen to the brothers? You’ll just have to hop on the ride and find out. 

13. Monster House

source

Animated movies more your thing? Monster House may be your new favorite; three teenagers uncover the mysteries of the house across the street. A must-watch for the stunning artwork and fun-factor! 

Brittany is a senior accounting major from Saint Louis, Missouri and is a Campus Correspondent for Xavier University. When not organizing Her Campus Xavier, she can be found working with Tedx Xavier University or Xavier Women in Business. She  wishes she could spend all of her free time with puppies.