This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier chapter.

One of my favorite college experiences was studying abroad in Paris, France for two weeks over the summer. While I was there, I made lifelong friendships and had some experiences, all while getting college credits! Through this experience I had the opportunity to try amazing food like crepes and snails. I loved my experience so much that I even decided to study abroad in the spring! Check out these10 reasons why you should consider studying abroad.

1. It will enhance career opportunities.

Studying abroad looks great on a resume because it shows employers that you are globally competent.

2. You get to meet new people.

You meet so many interesting and unique individuals while abroad. All of them come from different backgrounds whether they are people in your study abroad group or the locals.

3. Independence.

Studying abroad takes you out of your natural comfort zone and support system back home. Being on your own will help you hone in on your own skills and help you get out of your comfort zone.

Source

4. You will gain a new world perspective.

Only seeing and being in one place can limit your perspective. of By traveling, you expand your knowledge, traveling which can help you get rid of any previous misconceptions about cultures. The best way to learn about a culture is by experiencing it first hand. Soon you will find out we are all more alike, than different.

5. Life Experience.

You will experience things that you will never be able to experience unless you not studying abroad. You will experience a different type of learning and also be able to cross some things off of your bucket list!

6. Food.

The best way to get closer to a culture is through food. and It is a great way to get out of your comfort zone and create new experiences. Some of the food you may like, some of it you may not, it all depends.

7. Adventure.

On study abroad, programs provide excursions out of class like traveling to different countries, going to museums, hikes and seeing famous landmarks. Also, on weekends and breaks, there are plenty of opportunities to visit other places. Continents like Europe have great train systems which offer cheap tickets.

Source

8. Language skills.

Studying abroad is the best way to improve your language skills is when you have to, because you are immersed in the culture. Also, it is a great way to improve your communication skills and you can get your required courses out of the way.

9. Scholarships.

There is a huge array of scholarships for people of many backgrounds and for different areas of study as well. This is the perfect opportunity to travel at a cheaper price while you still can. Also, study abroad tuition may be the same as regular tuition at your university.

10. The Education.

Studying abroad is also a great way to get core classes or your major’s courses out of the way since there is an array of courses that will fit your criteria and because there are so many different programs.

Charese Foster is a senior Political Science major with a double minor in peace and justice studies and international studies from Toledo, Ohio. She is a contributor for Her Campus Xavier. When not writing for Her Campus, she spends her time with Model United Nations, reading her horoscope and watching Netflix.