The Top Six Items To Buy To Get Into The Spirit Of Fall.

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier Louisiana chapter.

As Fall, my favorite season approaches, I wanted to share six items to buy that get you into the spirit of the season. All of these items have helped me cozy up and get ready to watch the change of seasons.

1. Candles 

Candles are an absolute go-to when it comes to getting in the Fall spirit. With the aroma of pumpkin spice, apple cider and cinnamon. Plus, nothing compares to the fall designs on the outside of candles, to give it that final touch. While it is no fireplace, the soft warm glow of the fires gives the same warming and cozy effect to boost the spirits of fall. When it comes to fall and creating an aesthetic, candles are just a must. 

2. Sweaters 

Of course, sweaters— IT SWEATER WEATHER! Nothing symbolizes fall like a comfortable black, orange, grey, cream-colored sweater. During the months of September, October and November, the weather feels just right to bundle up in your favorite sweater. In the south, once the weather gets below 80 degrees, I find myself heading to my favorite clothing store to seek the newest sweater collections.Wandering the stores and seeing the latest designs and color collections there bring me the sort of excitement where I want to do nothing else but fall activities and watch spooky films to get the season started. For me, sweaters represent comfort in the season and on top of everything, the notion that sweater weather is upon us. 

3. Fall decorations 

You can’t have fall without fall decorations… right? Out of all these items, fall decorations indicate the spirit of fall the most to me. Driving around various neighborhoods, seeing decorations on campus, going to your favorite restaurant or coffee shops and seeing that they are filled with decorations brings the excitement that is most known around the fall season. Watching the leaves change color, your favorite fall/spooky movies, the energy that comes from fall festivities, seeing seasonal wreaths, pumpkins, Halloween decorations or even welcome mats with pumpkins and orange leaf designs is just something so whimsical, you can’t not love it. Nothing compliments the spirit of fall like the decorations and colors that go along with it. 

4. Pumpkin spice… ANYTHING 

The notorious, infamous, and all-around favorite scent of fall, pumpkin spice, is one of the best elements to add to your fall collection. Coffee, deserts, meals, candles – anything you can think of pumpkin spice is a must buy during the Autumn season. Although I am more of a Chai scented person, the scent of pumpkin spice accentuates the overall feeling of fall. Since, it is most recognized during the fall season and one of the prominent advertised scents associated with fall that most people find intriguing and thrilled about, it only makes sense to add pumpkin spice items to your household during the fall. 

5. Throw blankets 

Throw blankets. To match the scenery of candles, decorations and the scents of fall, nothing pairs better to go with fall colors outside than adding warm colors of fall throw blankets to your room. Not only does having a throw blanket that is orange, black, red, yellow, plaid or with elements of fall designs on themcreate the fall appealing room, it makes for the perfect snuggly comfort for the days when it rains or just during those daily naps.

6. Autumnal coffee mugs 

Last but certainly not least, autumnal coffee mugs. For some, especially those like me who love coffee, there is no better way to start my day than drinking my morning coffee in a pumpkin shaped mug or this very Hocus Pocus mug I have at home. It adds that feel of fall, especially when drinking pumpkin spice or vanilla chai flavored coffee. Once the weather gets cooler close to the month of November, I substitute the fall pumpkin-chai drinks for hot chocolate adding it to a designed cup that just lifts your spirits. Not only does it make me happy, but it also reminds me of the Fall breaks to come in the semester. 

Hopefully these six items get added to your cart as you make your way around your favorite store to boostyourself into getting in the spirit of fall.

Kai Davis

Xavier Louisiana '22

Kai Davis is a writer based in New Orleans, LA. She is a senior Mass Communication major at Xavier University of Louisiana. She enjoys writing, poetry, films, cooking, and baking. Any free time she has, she uses it to enjoy sightseeing or capturing sunset pictures. She is also a contributing writer for The Louisiana Weekly, The New Orleans Data News Weekly, and The New Orleans Tribune.