Wellness

It’s Time To Level Up: Four Tips To Become Your Best Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Xavier Louisiana chapter.

Even though the new school year has already begun, but some of us are still in need of that push and to really tap in and become our best selves this semester. I know very well from personal experience how difficult it is trying to shift your mind back into “school mode” while also attempting to perfect every aspect of your life on this journey to adulthood. But don’t stress too much, girl. I have four helpful tips on how to step into your highest self and level up this year. 

Let’s get into it.

1. Plan

Becoming a planning girl. Develop and devise a plan on how you’re going to achieve your goals for the year and what specific actions can be done to fulfill them. You don’t have to know every step to get to where you’re going but it’s better to be prepared than drifting along with the flow. As important as it is to develop a plan, it is just as, if not more important, to stick to said plan. Yeah, I know. That’s the hard part, but you have to hold yourself accountable for doing what’s best for you and your future. No one else is going to do it for you. As young adults, especially in school, we are incredibly susceptible to getting caught up in having fun, that we lose track of the time that is passing around us. Nothing is wrong with having fun and relaxing but remember your why and make conscious decisions to make your dreams come into full fruition.

2. Let Things Go!

Yes, I understand—deeply understand, that learning to let things go is a practice that is difficult to master. I, myself, am currently struggling with this very step. While I want to move on from outgrown relationships or environments that no longer serve me, there is a deep fear within me that makes me want to hold on just a little longer. No, girl. We’ve got to grow up and move on. Letting things and people go is crucial to your growth as an individual and once mastered, can allow you to flower into your greatest self. You cannot bring everything and everyone with you on this next transition in your life. It’s not realistic and it does not serve your best interest. There is a reason and a season for all things in your life; find out what those reasons are and learn when something is no longer allowing you to be your best self or is not positively contributing to your overall experience of life. Be more selfish and assertive with what and who is allowed in your environment. Think to yourself, “How is this experience elevating the quality of my life?” “What is this experience teaching me about myself, others, and how to navigate through life moving forward?” “How has this person, object, environment, etc. been affecting my mental and emotional health? Are these effects worth my time, energy, and sanity?” “Are my own behaviors holding me back from progressing forward into the person that I want to be?” Even some parts of yourself can be dead weight. Sometimes your own immaturity and toxic behaviors can be your own demise. Really evaluate what is in your immediate environment and determine what is dead weight and what adds value. Pussy Prayers by Black Girl Bliss, a book I’m reading currently describes it best, “learn what you love and let go of what you don’t.”

3. Stop Expecting Perfection

Stop expecting perfection—from yourself and others. Perfection does not exist and as much as you may want to fulfill this image of “perfection” in your head, it simply is not attainable, and you will drive yourself into the ground trying to fit these expectations of yourself and others. I’m sure you’ve heard this time and time again, but absolutely no one is perfect. Learn to accept that fact and allow yourself and others to be human. The grass may seem greener on the other side, but the grass is always greener where you water it. As much as we want others to accept us with all of our imperfections, we must reciprocate that same accepting energy. This doesn’t mean to compromise your standards or accept disrespect but acknowledge that people are experiencing their own battles within their own lives just as you. Practice patience with yourself and others, while still working on parts of yourself that may need improvement. 

4. Be Intentional with Your Time

My motto for the past year has been, “you have time, just not time to waste.” Meaning that there is time for you to become the person you’ve always wanted to be, but you are allowing time to pass you by in being passive in creating the life you want for yourself. Because we are young, time seems infinite. It feels like we’re going to be young forever, but truthfully, we’re not. I don’t say this to scare you, but to encourage you to be more intentional with how you spend your time and what you allow to take up your time. Your time is a precious gift, treat it as such. Now, this doesn’t mean your time is exclusively for productivity. But it is also for leisure, for fun, for pleasure, for life. Use your time wisely to create the best version of your life. Do not waste it daydreaming about what your life could be or what it isn’t.

I hope all of these tips resonate and encourage you all to tap into your best selves this semester. Don’t let anything deter you from your goals or happiness. You are an amazing and resilient individual whose existence is necessary in this universe. You can do all things that you put your mind to and don’t for one second think you’re alone in your journey of life. Be patient with yourself and take it one day at a time.

Amaya Cooper

Xavier Louisiana '23

Amaya Cooper is an Art student at Xavier University of Louisiana who has a great passion for writing. as well creative ventures of all kinds.