What You Need to Know About Cinco de Mayo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

No, its not celebrating  ‘Mexican independence day’, nor is it an excuse to dress up in the clothing of another culture while you sip margaritas.  Here is what you need to know, before this Friday.

Contrary to what is commonly thought, Cinco de Mayo is not “Mexican independence day”.  Cinco de Mayo commemorates the victory of Mexican forces over the French in the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862.

Cinco de Mayo is often celebrated differently in the united states that it is in Mexico, where the celebration is mainly ceremonial, and commemorates the battle through military parades.

So how can you celebrate Cinco de Mayo?  Well, know that traditional Mexican clothing is not a costume for you to wear for a day and discard.  If you want to dress up, wear the colors of the Mexican flag to show your enthusiasm.  If you’re going out, go to a locally-owned Mexican restaurant to show your support.

!Felíz Cinco de Mayo!

My name is Julia, and I'm currently a freshman at Western Washington University. I love hiking and the outdoors, and drinking way too much tea.