Uber Zooms into Bellingham

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

Uber is a ride-sharing app, that functions like a taxi but with added conveniences.

The entire company functions via the app. You simply indicate your pick up location and your destination. Then a driver will accept your request, you’ll get a text telling you the driver’s name and their estimated time of arrival. You’ll get another text when they arrive. 

Paying is also super easy. Payment is taken ahead of time through the app. If you’re catching a ride with a friend you can easily split the fare, once again through the app, simply by clicking split fare and adding others using the ride.

Another unique feature of Uber is that the drivers are ranked. Those who are polite clean, and good drivers get positive ratings. Anyone who is creepy or unprofessional simply will not last with the company.

The company also tracks their vehicles via GPS, to ensure safety and confirm that a passenger has successfully reached their destination. You can even track your own route while traveling.

Here is a breakdown of the vehicle options:

Black Car: This is Uber’s original service. Choosing Black Car will send a high-end sedan to your location, with seating for up to 4 people.

Taxi: This calls a taxi that has an agreement with Uber. These taxis are much like any normal taxi, except that you can pay through the app.

UberX: This sends an everyday car to your location with seating for up to four people. This is Uber’s budget option.

SUV: This will send an SUV to your location with seating for up to 6 people. This is significantly more expensive than the Black Car service.

LUX: This will send a high-end luxury car to your location with seating for up to four people. This is Uber’s most expensive service.

It’s generally cheaper than a cab and you agree to the price beforehand. Roughly between 25-50% cheaper. Use the code UberBellingham for a free ride up to $20.

Danika is a student at Western Washington University where she is majoring in English Creative Writing and minoring in Writing Studies. She's an avid reader and aspiring young adult/children's literature publisher. Her interests include intramural sports, traveling, Harry Styles, and all things Disneyland. Follow her on twitter or check out her website.