This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

As our calendars approach March, so too does a change in our weather. Most people would agree that the closer to Summer we get, the happier we are. Well, we’re not quite there yet, so on March 20th we’ll just have to settle for Spring time. With warmer winds and a longer sun I think that Spring is the perfect occasion to get out, adventure and reacquaint yourself with the beautiful outside world after this long and cold Winter. The best way to do this is with some friends, a furry companion, or just on your lonesome. And if you need any other convincing to get out, there are going to be some amazing opportunities for pictures on your instagram feed (check us out for some awesome shots @hercampuswwu). So here are a few ideas for some places to see and things to do in our area.

HIKING

Bellingham is a beautiful area and since last Fall it’s been hard to really get out in between classes, all the rain, and the occasional snowfall. In my opinion, the best way to really see the full potential of how beautiful Bellingham is, is by hiking! Getting out onto trails that the majority of people never go is a very rewarding experience visually and mentally. There’s parks and trails everywhere so depending on how long you want to be gone and how far you want to go, there’s options in the city and then there’s places a couple miles out which will be more physically demanding but will offer a better view. Boulevard Park is a waterfront park that has an awesome view of the bay, and is really easy to access; the trail connects Fairhaven District to downtown Bellingham with a section of the boardwalk over water and the best place to find it is at 10th and Mill St. To see more trails and information head over to http://www.bellingham.org/activities/hiking/.

TAKE A DRIVE 

This one is for you guys who have a car, or for those of you with friends who have cars. With the light rains throughout Spring time and trying to get out during short amounts of time in between schedules, driving in a random direction and just going is an awesome solution. You can take a little joy ride through town window shopping and blaring music or you can hop on the Mount Baker Highway (state route 542). The highway is an awesome excursion filled with sights of evergreen and big maple leaf trees, until you get to the Mount Baker Snoqualmie National Forest which takes you to the Mountain which is 10,781 feet tall! Awesome views here and the drive there is perfect for getting away from the hustle and bustle of day to day university life.

STUFF AROUND TOWN

Here’s a little list of events happening in only in the springtime that you can’t miss! For further information on these events, please visit http://www.bellingham.org/activities/spring-activities/

• ST Patrick’s Day Parade: March 11, 2017
  • Wings Over Water: March 10, 2017
  • Ski to Sea: May 28th, 2017