A Review of the Symphonic Orchestra Concert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at WWU chapter.

Western Washington University’s symphonic orchestra had a wonderful Monday night with their concert that lasted around an hour and a half. Having around thirteen years of classical music experience under my belt I thoroughly enjoyed and adored all of the musical selections that they had. There were instruments as unique as the harp and organ among the symphony, to other string instruments and brass instruments like the cello and trombone. Even with all of the different sounds, the music melded together beautifully and almost seamlessly. There were moments that would truly take your breath away, and there were moments that were so quiet that they had you sitting on the edge of your seat. The conductor, Ryan Dudenbostel did a great job of leading the orchestra through classical music like Berlioz and Barrok, while also taking it back to our roots with Gottschalk and William Grant Still. With poetry readings from Paul Laurence Dunbar, read by Gary Giles and all the music, the Symphonic Orchestra put on an amazing show that anyone could enjoy, whether they have had musical experience or not. 

Other WWU symphony orchestra concerts will take place on:

Monday, March 7, 2016 – 7:30 PM 

Monday, April 25, 2016 – 7:30 PM

Friday, May 27, 2016 – 7:30 PM

You can find more information on other WWU concerts and events on the WWU events calendar at 

https://events.wwu.edu/MasterCalendar/MasterCalendar.aspx